Chap 7 - New Ally and Annabeth is Actually Stupid

Before anything else, I'm gonna change the part in this chapter where Annabeth is 'stupid', though I will keep the chap title.

As we walked down the old and battered road, the wonderful smell of food drifted past. We followed it, and came across an old and regal building. The sign above the door read, 'Aunty Em's Garden Gnome Emporium'. I rolled my eyes, but didn't protest, as Annabeth and Nick hastily walked to the door. I took my time, and used the chance to mind-message Dad.

'Dad?'

The noise of papers shuffling filled my ears as my father's startled voice said, 'Uh, yeah? What do you need? I'm a little busy with the papers regarding a war between planets in dimension four.'

'Sorry to bother you. I thought Medusa would make for a useful recruit in the army, though I can't convince her without giving something in return. I wanted to know if you had a reverse for her curse.'

Chaos' surprise was evident was evident in his voice as he said, 'Of course I do! When you begin to say the spell, I'll put the words in your mind. Please keep in mind, she will be able to access her gorgon powers, even after the spell.'

'Thanks, Dad. I was also wondering if I could have a transportation crystal, in case she wants to do a little sightseeing before going to actually join the army.'

'Sure, it's in your pocket.' At this, I checked my pocket, and I indeed found the glowing green crystal. 'I'll be sure to inform the generals once Medusa enlists. Now, I have to get back to work. Goodbye Perseus.'

'Bye, Dad'

No sooner had I ended the mental call, did we reach the entrance, where Medusa greeted us. "Oh, children! Please, come join me inside, I have food." Her smile seemed to entrance the other two, pulling them in like Selena's charmspeak.

Once inside and seated, Medusa turned to make burgers, but I called, "The acts over, Medusa. You might be able to fool them, but not me."

"How could you have known?" Her shock was evident in her voice.

"Oh, please. I could hear the hissing before you even opened the door."

She swiftly got over her shock, and moved to unveil her eyes. Annabeth screeched at us, "Don't look into her eyes!"

I rolled my eyes, and simply conjured a barrier of ice, effectively blocking Medusa's gaze. 

"Medusa, if it interests you, I have a way reverse your curse."

This seemed to peak her interest, "How do I know you won't kill me when I let my guard down?"

"I, Perseus Nova-Chaos, swear on Chaos' name that no harm shall come to you, and that I will reverse your curse." I stated calmly.

I could see her place the veil over eyes once more, so I melted the barrier. "Ready?" I asked. She nodded, nervously.

I began chanting in the language of the primordials, the words simply appearing in my mind. Once I was finished, there was a second when nothing happened.

"Not so powerful, now, are y-" Nick began taunting, but was cut off by the bright white light emitting from Medusa. The light died down, and Medusa's true form was revealed. She had silky black hair cascading down her back, porcelain-like skin, a perfect hourglass figure, and slitted green eyes that seemed to consume the souls of those unfortunate enough to find their gaze. I could understand why Poseidon took an interest in her all those years ago. She slowly looked at each of us, and when none of us turned to stone upon making eye contact, she looked down at herself. Now she openly gasped, examining the reversed effects of the curse. She once again turned her gaze to me, and pulled me into a warm hug, thanking me again and again.

I could feel Annabeth burning a hole through the side of my head, though I ignored her, and instead opted to look at Nick, who was openly drooling at the sight of Medusa. I pulled away from Medusa's hug, and decided to say, "My Father has an army, which he plans to use to rid the world of the Olympians unfit to rule. I want to offer you a spot in this army, though it's alright if you would rather not. I also have this," At this I pulled the glowing green gem from my pockets, "A transportation crystal, it can take you where ever you want. You can travel, and see the world without hiding behind your veil."

She looked nervous, and was having trouble deciding, "Would it be alright if I took the crystal to travel, but joined the army later?" 

I laughed, "As long as you're on time to take down the Olympians."

She nodded, "I think I can do that."

I gave her the green crystal, but summoned another, larger, purple crystal that was on a gold chain, "This crystal will take you to my Father's planet, once you pull on the chain."

She smiled as she received the gifts. She then hefted the green crystal, that was now glowing quite brightly, and kissed me on the cheek, "Thank you, Percy." She then disappeared in a bright flash of green light.

I then turned to my group, to see them both glaring at me, though undoubtedly for different reasons. I think Nick was only mad that some pretty lady kissed me, and not him. I think if he looked in a mirror he would understand their reasoning.

I shook my head as to not laugh, "We need to keep moving. We can take a bus west, and see where that takes us." I didn't need to guess, I knew exactly where we were headed. 

Fifteen minutes later, we boarded the bus, leaving the old road behind. Annabeth was seated between Nick and I, though I got the window. 

Annabeth glanced at me, "Why did you do it? Why reverse the curse my Mother put on that monster? She was cursed for a reason, so why  object to Athena's reasoning by undoing it?" She managed to keep a calm, even voice, though I knew it was difficult for her.

I looked at her curiously, "Why do you think Athena cursed Medusa? Chances are, it's not what you think."

Annabeth rolled her eyes in that I-know-everything way, "Everyone knows this, Athena cursed Medusa when she saw her degrading her temple by having sex with Poseidon."

"No, the real story is quite different. You see, Poseidon was so entranced by Medusa's beauty, he tricked her into meeting him at your Mother's temple. He then surprised Medusa, and took advantage of her vulnerability. Medusa prayed to Athena for help, but you know what she did? She cursed her, out of the jealousy that Poseidon noticed some mortal girl instead of her." 

Annabeth looked startled at this explanation, "Are you sure? One hundred percent?"

I smiled, "Would you like me swear on my Father's name?"

Annabeth pondered this, "No, I believe you. It's just sometimes startling when you think you understand them, then something like this happens, completely changing your opinion. I think I'll get over it, eventually." She then closed her eyes, and we rode the rest of the way in silence.