Chap 17 - Sea Of Monsters and Grover in a Dress? Clarisse gets a new ride

~CLARISSE'S POV~

After a lot of misadventures, we finally arrived on Polyphemus' island.

First, we had to make it past Scylla and Charybdis by using the thermos. That wasn't too bad, but Nicky kept saying that if we had "just slowed down a little", he "definitely could have taken them". Honestly, he's like a pet, adorably incompetent, but also really annoying. 

After that, we stumbled across Circe's island. Chris and I both remembered the story Prissy told us, so we opted not to go in. Instead, we encouraged Annabeth to take Nicky in, while we did 'maintenance checks'. I think Annabeth knew it was some kind of trap, but knew Chris and I both needed a break from Nicky, so she humored us. Nicky, on the other hand, didn't hesitate in following the beautiful attendant into the spa. Nearly an hour later, Annabeth ran from the spa, clutching a small ball of fur. That was funny, and Annabeth later told us that she had seriously considered just leaving Nicky behind. Though all good things come to an end, and Nicky eventually found the vitamins in my bag, returning himself to human form. Whatever, he's annoying as both a guinea pig and a human, so what do I care?

After that wonderful encounter, we passed the sirens, and I knew what Annabeth was gonna ask. So we had Nicky tie her to the mast, while the rest of us plugged our ears. She escaped, so I had to go and save her from being eaten by sirens. Honestly, that was quite eventful, I don't think Percy or Annabeth ever said Annabeth's flaw was hubris. I mean, it's to be expected considering her mother, but you never know.

~What follows is based on the movies, and not by my choice. I'm only grammar fixing the original fanfic.~

That's about the full recap, leading back to the present. We're sitting in the middle of Polyphemus' cave, while the cyclops snacks on something, to busy to notice us. I quickly turned, looking for the fleece. And I found it, on a branch, on the other side of the cave. Great.

 "Honey! Where my soup?" Polyphemus' voice boomed, shaking the ground.

A squeaky voice replied, "Coming, Dear!" That voice...it's familiar, I just can't place it. Who do I know that sounds like that? The sound of feet brought me back to the moment. It was a horribly dressed bride, wearing thin brown veils, and a giant googly eye glued to their forehead. It took only a second for things to snap into place, this was Grover! But, like, in a dress, for some reason.

I was doing my best to hold in my laughter. I know this is serious, but Grover looks really funny in a dress.

"Here you are, Dear." Grover's voice shook with fear, before he spotted us, and discreetly walked over.

"Why are you in a dress?" Annabeth seemed to be having the same troubles as me with containing her laughter. 

Not wasting a moment, I grabbed my phone from my pocket, and hastily took a picture. 

"Hey! Do not let that go viral!" Grover exclaimed nervously.

Nicky interrupted to moment, "Guys! We have to get the fleece!"

I scowled, "Yeah, yeah, whatever." I cleared my throat, "Right, so here's the plan. Nick, Annabeth, Grover? You three go and distract him, while Chris and I get the fleece."

They nodded, and Annabeth slipped on her invisibility hat. She then followed the two boys.

"Hey, meathead! I've got your wife!" Nick called to Polyphemus. I nearly laughed, is that the best he can do?

Polyphemus seemed to think it was quite the insult, as he charged full force at Nick, only to trip over Annabeth. His screams of outrage could be heard over the island, as the trees swayed with the force. Taking the opportunity, Chris and I sprinted to the branch, and the fleece. Unfortunately, the fleece's hem was too high into the air, preventing both of us from reaching it.