Chap 12 - Olympus, An Ashamed Sea God and The Traitor Revealed

~NICK'S POV~

Why did he have to show up? He should be stuck in the Underworld forever, not escaping in time to ruin my moment! Either my luck is the worst, or his is the best. You know what? It doesn't matter, there will be other quests and opportunities. Even if Percy's involved in those, I'll make sure I'm the hero.

I was brought back to reality by the elevator's cheery 'ding'! My jaw dropped to the floor as I gazed at the sight in front of me. I was standing on a narrow stone path at the height of an airplane. Below me, Manhattan gleamed proudly. My eyes followed the path up the bright marble stairs, and my eyes couldn't seem to comprehend what I was seeing. I rushed to take in the details, captivated by it all.

There rose a mighty mountain, capped with snow at its' magnificent peak. Clinging to the mountains side were hundreds of magnificent palaces, each with shining pale white porticos, gilded terraces that shone with elegance, and beautiful bronze braziers glowing with a thousand fires. Annabeth and I made our way to the throne room, where we could here the gods shouting their arguments inside. We glanced at each other nervously, before I hesitantly pushed open the doors.

What I saw inside made me wince, the throne room was a mess of chaos and rubble, the constant quaking causing the room to slowly collapse. And, there, in the center of it all, the gods stood in combat positions, arguing profoundly.

As soon as we stepped through the door, the arguments ceased, and all eyes turned to us. I started to sweat nervously, as I eyed the armored gods surrounding us. I stepped forward tentatively, and bowed, "Lord Zeus, I have retrieved your master bolt."

~THIRD PERSON POV~

Seven of the gods were scattered around the room, looking at Nick with surprise etched into their faces. The other six only sat quietly, calmly gazing at the demigods before them. Hades was nowhere to be found.

Nick stood in the center of the room, with Annabeth next to him, shaking in fear of the glare Zeus was sending their way. Poseidon stood to the side, looking at Nick with an unreadable expression of disappointment.

Athena scowled at Nick's words. How dare he say that he retrieved the bolt, when throughout the quest all he did was faint! How dare he claim credit, when without her daughter, he would have died! "How dare you! Without my daughter, and that son of Chaos, you would be dead!" She shouted, fuming.

"Silence, Athena!" Zeus thundered, before turning to Nick, "So you finally show your face to admit to your crime."

Nick bowed his head, "I'm sorry Sir, but I did not steal your bolt. It was Ares who had a demigod steal it, not Poseidon."

Zeus scowled at this information, "Give me my bolt, boy." He put emphasis on the last word, causing Nick to flinch.

As Nick returned the bolt, lightning once again lit up the sky, sending a shockwave from Olympus. Zeus once again turned his hard gaze to Nick, "Though you have done well in returning my bolt, you are still a child of Poseidon. I say we vote to decide your fate." He received numerous nodes of agreement, and continued, "Those in favor of life?"

There was a silence that followed, but not a calm silence, it was more of an uncomfortable and awkward quiet. In the seconds that followed, no one moved. But, Poseidon relented after a few more seconds of the quiet, and timidly put his hand in the air. He sighed, "He is my son, Zeus. I will not let you harm him."

Zeus sneered, "You wish to save him? Even after he disgraced the sea, and embarrassed you like he has?"

Poseidon sighed, and shook his head, not daring to reply. Surprisingly, it was Athena who spoke up, "Wait, Zeus! I say you let the boy live!"