Chap 8 - Nick is an Embarrassment and I get a Gift

~TIME SKIP~

So now, here we are, at the top of the Arch. Annabeth and I are standing protectively over Nick, while he lays fainted on the ground, also facing off against the mother of all monsters, Echidna. 

"So, this is the famed son of Poseidon! Maybe you should just let me kill him, he can't be an embarrassment to the gods if he's dead." Echidna offered in her sickly sweet, yet polite voice.

"Tempting." I said, as I glanced at Annabeth, who seemed to be manually preventing herself from laughing.

I drew my sword, Telos, as the Chimera charged toward Annabeth and Nick. I swung my sword from behind it, effectively silencing the poisonous snake tail. The Chimera shrieked, and turned to me. I took note of its' neck turning red, signing it was about to blast fire. Before it could, I impaled it on a spike of ice.

"You killed my son!" Echidna roared angrily from behind us, "You shall pay for this!" She ran at Annabeth, flexing her fingers, ready to wrap them around Annabeth's neck. 

"Not so fast!" I yelled, throwing Telos right through her back, and out the other side. 

Annabeth stood, frozen in stunned shock, covered in the gold dust that was once Echidna, "T-thanks, Percy."

I nodded to her, before turning my attention to Nick. Remembering last time, I pushed Nick's unconscious body out the window, and watched it drop the full six hundred thirty feet to the river below. Annabeth stared at me, though decided against questioning my reasoning, and instead asked, "Is he going to be alright? Falling from this height?" 

I nodded, "The river will cushion his fall. We should probably head down, too."

I waved my hand, teleporting us beside the river, and we waited for Nick to emerge. After a while, Annabeth decided to break the silence, "How do you know so much about Nick's powers? I bet not even Nick knew he could fall a height like this, and be fine as long as there's water at the bottom."

I looked at her, "I'm a son of Chaos. Think of it this way, I have all the powers. Meaning, it's natural I would know of Nick's powers, when I have them as well."

She nodded at my rushed explanation, "I suppose. So you could have fallen down, too? Why didn't you? It seems more exciting than teleportation."

I laughed, "Maybe it is. But I'm done with these ridiculous risks, and with the gods in general."

Annabeth knit her eyebrows, "Why? Why are you so determined to 'rid the world of the gods'? What did they-" She was cut off by Nick, as he rose from the water.

Nick smirked at me, smugly, "My Father requests my presence in Santa Monica."

I hummed in response, "Let's head to Las Vegas, we can get a ride from there to Santa Monica."

Annabeth nodded, "Let's do that. I'd rather not walk." She then turned, and lead the way away from the Arch. I followed, and Nick did as well, though grumbling about how, "I'm supposed to be the leader! Percy shouldn't get to make that decision! I should!"

Not long after, we found a familiar looking diner. "Maybe we shouldn't-" I was cut off by Nick.

"Well, I'm the leader, and I say, we go in!" He smirked at me, before confidently walking in. Annabeth glanced at me, before following Nick. I shrugged, if it delays the quest, that's good, right? What do I have to lose?

We were seated, and the waitress came out to take our orders, "What can I get you?" She smiled politely.

I didn't hesitate with my answer, "We'll have three cheeseburgers with fries, please."

She eyed me suspiciously, "Can you pay for all that?"

I pulled out my credit card, "Of course." She nodded, wrote down our order, and walked off. 

"What is that?" Annabeth asked, curiously, "And where did you get it?"

I smiled at her, and answered, "It's a gift from my Father, a card with unlimited funds."

Nick's eyes widened, before he smirked, and tore the card from my hand. "It's mine, now!" He proclaimed, followed by a yelp of surprise when the card turned to ash.

I rolled my eyes at his antics, "It can only be used by me." I simply pulled the card from my pocket once more. Annabeth looked at the card with wonder, before shaking her head, and looking away. Nick's reaction can not be said to be so calm.

The door chimed, causing me to instinctively look over, before my eyes widened. No wonder the diner looked familiar. I smiled, at least this will delay the quest. Skipping over the unnecessary details, Ares gave us the quest to retrieve his shield. I refused to do any quests for the very gods I swore to destroy, leaving Annabeth and Nick to retrieve the shield for Ares. 

I waved goodbye to them, and watched as they disappeared out of sight. As it took us around half an hour last time, I'll give them maybe forty five minutes. Reason being, Annabeth might competent enough, but Nick will most likely faint, then Annabeth will have to get them both out.

Looking for ways to spend the time, I shifted to age eighteen, and teleported to a nearby mall. Passing a window, I gazed at my reflection. I looked as I did before time traveling, which was good. I doubt a twelve year old wandering alone in a mall would attract anything good. 

I wandered the mall, gazing at products through windows, but nothing caught my eyes. Not to mention, I could feel the attention I was attracting, everyone's eyes were on me. For these reasons, I decided to leave the mall early, and to instead check on Nick and Annabeth. 

When I did get there, the sight was definitely worthy of a laugh. Annabeth was frozen, petrified with fear, staring at the spiders. Nick, on the other hand, was trying to be heroic by summoning a wave to was the spiders away, but only ended up soaking them both. I shook my head and decided I was just going to wait by the entrance.

Eventually, the two emerged soaked and utterly defeated, but holding the shield. "Hey, guys. Some advice, maybe don't just accept quests from gods."

Annabeth shook her head, but smiled, "Now, let's get this to Ares."

I nodded, and teleported the three of us to the diner's parking lot, where Ares sat waiting. Nick picked up the shield, and practically hit Ares over the head with it. Ares then, being the generous guy he is, gave us a ride in a van from transporting zoo animals. He also handed Nick the bag containing the bolt. 

I walked to the van, and cursed the cages containing the animals, so they would break upon arrival in Las Vegas. I also blessed the animals with the blessing Grover had the first time. I walked back over to Annabeth, and informed her of the curse on the cages, "Don't worry, they won't harm you. Though, I wonder, if asked politely do you think the lion would eat Nick?" Annabeth snorted in response, before climbing into the van. 

"You coming? The van's leaving soon." Annabeth's voice sounded concerned, but I shook my head.

"I don't like the idea of going in there, but I'll figure it out." I then waved to them as the van departed. I thought for a moment, but I didn't have to wait long for a solution.

Chaos' voice sounded in my head, 'Need some help?'

I jumped in surprise, 'Don't do that!' I took a breath, before continuing, 'Yes, I need to get to Las Vegas, and teleportation is too draining.'

'I see. Well then, it looks like you'll be needing your birthday gift early.' At this, a midnight black motorcycle appeared. 

'I get to use this? It's beautiful!'

My Father laughed, 'Indeed it is. Now I must get back to work. Good luck, and goodbye, Perseus.'

'Bye, Dad.' I said, shortly before once more shifting to eighteen. 

I mounted to motorcycle, revved the engine, and took off for Las Vegas.

IMPORTANT:
I want to know your opinions on whose side Annabeth should be on, Nick's or Percy's. So, before the lines are clearly defined, I'm gonna have a poll. But that's for a lot later, so just think about it for now.