Chap 11 - Set Up and Beating Up an Olympian

As Nick approached Cerberus, he faltered. I could see his eyes widen, though he continued on. I raised a brow, what is he planning? I could tell Annabeth was also having doubts, as she shifted her weight from one foot to the other.

Nick to one final step forward, and said, "Move, mutt! I am Nick Jackson, the greatest of all demigods! If you don't move now, I'll be forced to kill you."

Cerberus was not impressed, judging by the low growl. This alone, was enough to make Nick start to tremble in fear. But then, Cerberus moved forward, causing Nick to scramble back, and fumble for his sword. When he finally did uncape Eddy, he began to swing it around uncontrollably. 

Cerberus' only reaction was another growl, and moving forward to steal the sword. Now, Nick was unarmed, and fighting the fiercest guard of the Underworld. Nick opted to attempt escape, though he was a few seconds too late. Cerberus nipped at him lightly, before throwing him aside like one of his chew toys. 

Through this rather violent exchange, Annabeth had been looking for some way to draw Cerberus' attention. And finally she found it, in the form of a rubber bone on the ground. How unfortunate, that's his favorite toy. Looks like this will be over rather quickly.

Annabeth slowly approached, clutching the bone in her hand, "Cerberus! Here boy, look what I got! You want it? You want it? Fetch!" With the last word, she threw the bone as far as her arms' strength would allow.

Cerberus bounded after the ball, dropping Nick in the process, and causing him to fall to the ground with a yelp. Annabeth rushed over to make sure he wasn't injured, though she seemed to be trying not to laugh at the undignified face he was making. After checking for major bruises and cuts, Annabeth deduced he would be fine, and helped him stand. We then began the long walk to Uncle Hades' palace. I really hope Hades can delay a bit longer. 

We arrived at the doors of the palace without too much trouble, only sore legs. Nick glanced nervously at Annabeth, most likely hoping she would open the doors, before he steeled his nerves and foolishly barged through the doors. 

We entered the large throne room, and Nick immediately stiffened. Hades sat across the room, atop a throne of fused human bones. His face held no emotion, but for the tiny pull of a smile at the edge of his mouth. 

He managed to wipe the smile from his face before speaking, "You dare come here, son of Poseidon? After what you have done, you are stupid to show your face here." 

Nick began to shake, and his voice was trembling, "I haven't done anything! And I'm here for the master bolt, so hand it over!"

"You dare accuse me of stealing my brother's bolt? You are as foolish as you seem. Return what you have stolen, and maybe I shall grant you a painless death." Hades' voice boomed, and echoed around the room. Honestly, his acting is quite amazing. 

Nick's face was laced with confusion, as was his voice, "What are you talking about, Uncle?" 

Hades' face exploded with anger, "That's Lord Hades to you! And don't play dumb with me, I know you are the one who stole my helm!"

I innocently piped up, "Your helm has been stolen, Sir?"

Hades turned his glare to me, "It's typical of you demigods to pay such apt attention to the business of the gods on Olympus, but when my helm goes missing, no one bothers!"

"We do not have your helm, we have only come for the bolt." Nick said shakily.

"Fools, looking for something you already possess." Hades spat.

Nick turned to Annabeth quizzically, though I widened my eyes, and tore into Ares' bag. And there it was, laying innocently. I could see the gears in Annabeth's head start to turn, "It's in Ares' bag, someone must have put it there..."

"So it was my war-loving nephew, he was the thief all along." Hades mused.

Nick seemed to remember something, before shouting, "Where is my Mother?"

Hades looked down at Nick distastefully, "Ah, yes. The woman." With a flick of his wrist, Sally appeared. 

She appeared next to the throne, looking around confusedly, before spotting Nick, and rushing to embrace him, "Nick! I'm so happy you're okay." 

I could see Nick trying to be discreet as he gave each girl a pearl, and muttering, "Crush them on my signal." He then turned to me, "Oh well, looks like we only have three, so you're gonna have to stay here!" Turning back to the girls, he shouted, "Now!"

All three crushed the pearls beneath their feet, though Annabeth glanced to me apologetically. Nick sent a final smug look to Hades, as if trying to say, 'Ha! Take that, I bet I'm the only demigod to have outsmarted you!' 

As soon as they disappeared from sight, I burst into laughter, "Oh Chaos, did you see how much he was shaking? His face was priceless!"

Hades let out a small laugh, "Yes, it was quite amusing."

"Great acting, by the way. That was top notch."

Hades' eyes glinted with unknown emotion, "Years of practice. And Perseus, what's this I hear about you and my daughter?"

I could feel my ears go pink, "Yeah, about that-"

I was cut off by my Uncle's laugh, "If anyone is good for my daughter, it's you, Perseus. You have my blessing."

I let out a sigh of relief, "Thank you, Uncle. I will get your helm back." I steeled myself, and teleported back to Santa Monica. 

I was greeted by the sight of Nick being thrown back, in a duel with Ares. By the looks of things, it was not going well. Nick was covered in long gashes and bruises. The only thing keeping him going was the ocean, which he would occasionally step into to heal his wounds. As Ares went to deliver the final blow, I stepped forward, blocking the strike with Telos.

"So you finally show up. I'll enjoy bashing your face in, the sea brat wasn't much of a challenge." Ares said arrogantly. 

I narrowed my eyes, "You want a challenge? I'll give you a challenge." I slashed upwards, but Ares was quick. He deflected my blade with the hilt of his sword, and slashed back at me. I sidestepped, and stabbed at his undefended side.

"Augh!" He grunted, pain in his voice.

I pulled my sword back, revealing a wound gushing the golden blood of the gods. I didn't waste the moment, however. I pushed forward with my attacks, whilst dodging his slowing slashes. When I lowered my sword, Ares was a mess of gold, covered in his own blood.

"Well, what are you waiting for? Finish me!" Ares spat. 

I scowled, "I'm not going to kill you, yet." I walked to Ares' motorcycle, removing the helm from the handle. I turned, tossing it to Alecto, who had emerged from the shadows behind me. "Get that to Hades." She nodded in response, before disappearing into the shadows.

I grinned, gazing at the motorcycle. I think Clarisse will like her present. I checked my watch and mounted the bike, the bolt's return is one day late. I smiled, I can't wait to see Nick's face when Zeus wants to kill him with the very bolt he returned.