Chapter 6

Days went by with little excitement going on around campus. Students carried on with their readings, assignments, and studying for mid-terms that were now approaching in a few weeks. There were many late nights and early mornings to try and get everything done before any due dates. Some students pulled many an all-nighter, while others just tried to find any time at all to get stuff done.

Lexi was one of many students who did the latter— carving out odd chunks of time here and there to complete schoolwork and study for mid-terms. She didn't want to fall behind on her studies while still juggling her part-time job at Barnes & Noble. That's why, on one Wednesday afternoon long after class had ceased, she trekked to the library to get some schoolwork done. The Quiet Study area was full, leaving her in the main area where other students worked and talked loudly. She paid no mind to her surroundings as she switched between typing on her computer and furiously writing out notes.

A couple of hours later, Lexi glanced up from her laptop for the first time since she had started working. She stretched her arms as she checked out those milling about the library. She saw some students looking for a table, while those already sitting at one were working away or talking to other students. As she was about to return to work, she spotted Isaac walking into the library's main entrance. He was several feet away, so she didn't want to shout his name from across the room. So, she grabbed her phone and shot him a quick text.

Lexi: I see you!

She watched as Isaac grabbed his phone, read her text, and then abruptly whip his head around to look for her. She giggled and waved her hand around the moment he looked in her direction. He saw her immediately and flashed an amused smirk. He soon made his way over to take a seat at her table.

"Nice to see you," Isaac greeted. "How's it goin'?"

"Good, thanks. I hope I didn't freak you out."

"Nah, it's all good. I was just gonna work on a Finance paper."

Lexi nodded. "Sounds good. You're more than welcome to stick around if you want. I saw that the Quiet Study was full, so I'm working out here instead."

"Oh, thank you, Lexi."

"Anytime!"

The two began working on their respective assignments while making minimal small talk. Lexi crossed her legs in her seat and divided her focus between her laptop and her previously written notes. Isaac's gaze never left his laptop screen as he typed away. After an hour of non-stop work, the two exchanged weary expressions.

"How's your paper coming along?" Lexi asked.

"I've made a dent in it, but I still have a ton more to do. You?"

"I just finished this one, thank God. But I have another one for a different class that I haven't even started yet."

"If I were you, I'd start it now."

"Well, it's not due for a couple weeks, so I'm not too worried about it."

"Oh, so you're actually ahead! That's awesome."

Lexi grinned. "Thanks. I enjoy working in general, so I don't mind being ahead of everyone else."

"You've always struck me as the quiet but hardworking type. I guess I wasn't too far off on that," Isaac observed.

"Yeah, you pretty much hit the nail on the head."

Isaac chuckled. "It's funny— we've known each other for over a year, but I feel like I barely know you. Since we're here, can I please...ask about you? Er, I mean, get to know you better? Sorry, I don't know how to word it."