Chapter 25

The first few days of the new semester were slightly hectic for students, but most managed to get used to school once again after the holiday break. By Thursday, Isaac had made it through all but one class on his timetable. Once that afternoon came, he had finished the first lecture for the week. He'd managed to have not only the rest of the day off but Fridays off as well. So when he texted Lexi to go out to The Bean's Knees for lunch that day, she'd accepted the offer to hang out, as she had two classes on Fridays and none on Thursdays. Isaac walked to her apartment and buzzed her place.

"Who is it?"

"It's me...Isaac."

Lexi's laugh was caught by the speaker. "I'll be down in a minute."

Isaac chuckled as well while he waited for his girlfriend to join him. She showed up a moment later with a small smile on her face. Isaac studied her outfit— black jeans, a white knit turtleneck, a black fake leather jacket, and black boots— before speaking again.

"You look beautiful."

"Oh, thank you," Lexi said with a slight laugh. "Let's go."

"Sounds good."

As they left the apartment complex to begin walking to The Bean's Knees, Isaac noticed that Lexi wasn't wearing gloves or mittens on her hands. In the bitter January winter, that was a foolish mistake she must've made without realizing it. She began to hide her hands in the sleeves of her jacket, but Isaac grabbed one hand with his. He threaded his gloved fingers through hers and gripped it gently yet firmly. He waited for her to reject the gesture, but that never happened. Instead, she gripped his hand in the same manner. A blush crossed her face, but she didn't mention it, so Isaac didn't either.

The rest of the walk was relatively peaceful, save for traffic noises, and small bits of chatter shared between the couple. They soon arrived at The Bean's Knees, which was quiet given the time of day. They each ordered their drinks, with Isaac offering to pay for his girlfriend's order.

"I'll pay next time," Lexi remarked as they waited for their coffees. "It'll be my treat."

Isaac grinned. "I'll try to remember for next time."

After receiving their coffees, the couple found a table and sat across from one another.

"It's funny that we've been back at school for almost a week, but we haven't seen each other until now," Isaac noted with a chuckle.

"My semester's busier than I thought it would be," Lexi revealed. "Two of my classes have lectures and labs, so I have to spend more time in the classroom than I wish. But I do have Friday afternoons off, as well as all of Thursday."

"I have Thursday afternoons and Fridays off," Isaac admitted. "So, basically what you have, but reversed a little."

Lexi laughed. "Pretty much. I'm just glad we were able to find some more time to spend together."

"Me too. So...how have you been?"

"Good, thank you. Like I said, school's made me pretty busy, but I think I'll be fine. Oh, and the rest of break was good. I don't mind having my apartment to myself for a couple of days— the peace and quiet is always nice. How about you?"

"I'm good as well. Break was nice, but I wish it'd been longer. Then again, it would've made going back to school that much worse."

"That's very true," Lexi pointed out. "I'm glad you enjoyed yourself."

"Oh, and something happened during break," Isaac confessed. "I told my parents and sister about you being my girlfriend."

"How did they take it?"