Chapter 21

The next few weeks at NYU were more than a little hectic for students; what with assignments being handed in, presentations being completed, and final exams needing plenty of attention. Many were stressed as they tried to finish their last assignments and study as much as possible, causing them to neglect their social lives in the process.

But once final exams were complete, that meant that the semester was complete once and for all. It wasn't until mid-December when this became reality, leaving students with a few weeks to relax before the next semester began. Some headed home immediately, while others had to wait a day or so before they could finally go home for winter break.

Cassie happened to fall into the latter category; and fortunately for her, her friends also did. As a result, DeShawn, Felipe, and Isaac had decided to throw a party the Saturday after everyone had completed their respective exams. They held it at their house and invited Lexi, Nikita, Cassie, and Mariana. They also invited some friends from their programs to come as well. Cassie had been shocked that she'd been invited in the first place, though only for a moment.

I must've been was only invited because they thought I'd throw a fit if I wasn't, she thought.

She and Mariana arrived at the party late that night to a crowded house of students and alcoholic drinks as loud music blared from the living room. It was a scene they were getting quite familiar with.

"We've seen this before," Cassie remarked with a smirk.

"Sometimes I think we party too much," Mariana confessed. "But considering it's the end of the semester, I'll ignore that thought for tonight."

Cassie laughed. "Good idea. I'm just gonna enjoy myself, no matter what."

"Please don't make a scene."

"I won't."

Mariana narrowed her eyes, unconvinced. But she spotted a familiar face in the entryway of the living room and dismissed any worries she had about her best friend.

"I'm gonna go talk to DeShawn. I hope you don't mind."

"Nah, it's fine. Go have fun. I'll see you later, girl."

After Mariana sauntered off to chat with DeShawn, Cassie slowly made her way into the living room. She stayed by the sidelines at first to survey the scene wordlessly. Students danced and chatted with one another with no stress of school dampening their moods for the time being. Cassie was about to go to the bathroom to fix her hair when she passed a couch occupied with the last two people she wanted to see.

Lexi and Isaac sat close to one another while talking amongst themselves— about what, Cassie couldn't hear. Lexi's hands were in her lap, but Isaac had an arm around her shoulders. They were smiling as they carried on chatting away.

Why do they have to act so happy together? Why can't I be in Lexi's place instead? She doesn't deserve him, Cassie mused.

She suddenly paused her unpleasant thoughts to collect herself. She had sworn to Mariana only minutes ago that she wasn't going to make a scene tonight. She really wanted to keep the promise she'd made to her best friend. But seeing her ex-boyfriend so happy with another girl— and with the girl that she hated most, no less— hurt just as much as the first time it'd happened. Her heart raced and her head began to spin while she tried to figure out her next move. As time went on, she found her rage about the situation bubbling up inside of her.

I need to let him know what he's missing, she thought.

Just as she began to decide whether or not to approach the pair, Isaac got up from his seat and began walking away. Cassie hustled over to stop him, putting one hand on his chest in a firm manner to keep him from leaving.