Chapter 26

Isaac's birthday rolled around a week after his and Lexi's most recent date. It happened to fall on a Saturday, meaning that he had no classes to attend. He decided to ignore his homework for today— he didn't have anything due soon and mid-terms weren't for another couple of weeks— so that he could do whatever he wanted instead.

His morning was off to a good start when he woke up and grabbed his phone off his nightstand. He had a couple of happy birthday texts sent to him already, but one stood out from all the rest. It made him smile as he read it.

Lexi: Happy birthday, baby! I was hoping to see you sometime today so that we could celebrate. (: Let me know when you're free!

Isaac: Thanks, babe. I'd love to celebrate with you. Do you wanna do something tonight?

Lexi: Sure! You can come to my apartment at 6 if that works. Nikita's going to a party tonight, so we'll definitely be alone.

Isaac: Sounds good to me. I'll see you at 6!

Lexi: See you then, babe (:

The brief exchange turned Isaac into a giddy mess. It wasn't just because of their conversation; the prospect of seeing Lexi again was exciting, especially since it was so they could celebrate his birthday. He didn't know what she had up her sleeve, but he sensed that she was gonna go out of her way to make him feel happy and cared for.

He still couldn't get their chat out of his mind by the early afternoon, while he and his buddies were playing video games. Felipe was too focused on the video game to notice, but DeShawn could tell that something was off about their friend. He waited until the latest round in their game ended before deciding to bring it up.

"Are you alright, Isaac?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Why do you ask?"

"I don't know, you just seem kinda...distracted, I guess."

"I'm just looking forward to going to Lexi's place later tonight."

That caught Felipe's attention. "You two are gonna have some fun tonight?! Nice! Don't forget to use protection!"

"What?! No, we're not having sex!" Isaac insisted. "Although to be honest, I have no clue what she has planned for us. But I'm pretty sure we're not gonna sleep together. We haven't even been a couple for that long."

"So? That shouldn't matter."

"Maybe that doesn't matter to you, but it does matter to others," DeShawn interjected.

Isaac grinned. "Thank you."

Felipe raised his eyebrows. "Okay, okay, you win. But I gotta say that you do seem happier now than you were on your last birthday."

"I agree with Felipe," DeShawn added. "It's like night and day."

"I definitely feel happier," Isaac remarked. "I'm excited to see what Lexi has planned for us tonight."

"She seems like a good fit for you," Felipe commented.

DeShawn nodded in agreement. "Not that I think you will, but I'm gonna say it anyway— don't fuck it up, dude."

Isaac chuckled. "Believe me, I have no intention of doing so."

***

"Who is it?"

"Isaac."

"Come on up!"

A few minutes later, Isaac made it up to Lexi's apartment. She let him in, but not before greeting him with a large smile and hug.