Chapter 32

Lexi shivered as she left the lecture hall. A cold breeze hit just when she made it outside as if to remind her that it was still winter. Yet she managed to keep a small grin on her face while walking to the library. She needed to get some schoolwork done before enjoying what was left of her birthday.

Lexi arrived a few minutes later and strolled through in the main part of the library. Multiple groups of people were chatting away at large tables, but she managed to claim a small table for two in a corner. Once she was settled in, she began working on a paper that was due in a couple of weeks. But she'd barely begun when her phone suddenly rang.

"Jesus Christ," she muttered hastily just before answering her phone. "Hello?"

"Hey, Lexi."

"Oh, hey, Isaac," she greeted. Her scowl disappeared as she scanned her nearby surroundings. Her table was close to other tables where people were working by themselves. But they all had earbuds or headphones in, so they hadn't even heard her phone go off in the first place.

"Happy birthday! It's today, right?" Isaac said.

"It is," Lexi replied. "It's been good so far. I mean...yeah, I had class, and I'm working on a paper right now. But I talked to my mom this morning, which was awesome."

"How is she?"

"She's good, thank you. I didn't talk to my dad— I called my mom at her work— but it sounds like he's fine, too."

"That's good," Isaac remarked. "I, uh...I didn't call just to wish you a happy birthday, to be honest."

Lexi frowned. "Oh?"

"Yeah, I... Look, I know this is super last minute, but...would you like to have dinner at my place?"

"Yeah, totally! That sounds like fun."

"Well, you've cooked for me before, so it's about time I returned the favour, right?"

"You could say that," Lexi laughed. "All joking aside...thank you for the invite. Really."

"You're welcome," Isaac said with a small chuckle. "Are you okay?"

"Hmm? Oh, yeah, I'm fine," Lexi lied. She abruptly sighed, as if her lie was already weighing on her. "Actually...I'm just stressed about school and shit. But I do want to spend time with you."

"Are you sure?" Isaac asked. "If you need to do homework instead..."

"No, I'll be fine. Sorry, I don't want to complain. I should be happy, not stressed out as all hell."

"Maybe our get-together will cheer you up."

"That's what I'm hoping," Lexi remarked with some newfound optimism. A smile suddenly appeared. "Sounds like tonight's gonna be a lot of fun."

"I'll try my best to make it that way," Isaac replied in between another chuckle. "I should let you get back to work."

"Yeah, you should," Lexi teased.

"I'm sorry I interrupted."

"Oh my God, don't even worry about it! I was only teasing. I'm glad you called and invited me to your place for dinner tonight. What time do you want me to come?"

"Is six okay?"

"Works for me. I'll see you then, babe!"

"Sounds good, baby."

The couple exchanged goodbyes, and it was Lexi who hung up first. She went back to her paper with a content smile on her face.

Tonight's gonna be perfect, she thought. I need something to cheer me up. Thank God for Isaac.