Chapter 35

The rest of the school year flew by in a flash; at least, that's how it felt to Lexi. Assignments, quizzes, and tests became her primary focus due in large part to a sudden increase in workload for all of her classes. She didn't socialize much, even going so far as to not speaking for Isaac for over a week more than once. He didn't give her a hard time for this, as he found himself facing a similar situation. His workload had practically doubled, leaving him with little time to focus on anything other than school. The couple managed to get by with text conversations when they weren't on dates or hanging out with friends. It was still better than nothing. The fact that Cassie had ignored them since Isaac had yelled at her was only the icing on the cake.

By the time final exams came and went in mid-April, the couple was more than done dealing with the craziness of school. With everything having finally finished the semester, Lexi was looking forward to heading home to California. She knew she was going to miss seeing Isaac regularly, but the idea of spending time in the sun and heat that San Diego had to offer was too nice to pass up. She couldn't help but grin every time she thought about seeing her parents again.

"You look super excited to head home."

Lexi snapped out of her thoughts with a now dim smile. "Yeah, I am."

"There's nothing wrong with that, babe," Isaac insisted. "Considering how horrible winter was, I don't blame you for wanting to run back to Cali. I only wish I could join you just to escape it myself!"

At this, Lexi giggled before finding a seat on Isaac's bed. He was already sitting there with a content grin etched on his face. With Felipe and DeShawn having already moved out yesterday, he now had the entire house all to himself. So, he invited Lexi to hang out before his parents were to arrive in a few hours so that he could move out. Once Lexi sat beside him, he gave her a quick peck on the cheek.

"When do you head home?" he asked.

"My parents are coming in tomorrow morning, and we'll all pack up the moving van that day. Then we'll stay the night in a hotel before flying to San Diego."

"Sounds like fun."

"It will be," Lexi revealed. "I've missed my parents a lot, so I'm really excited to see them."

"Good," Isaac remarked. "But you'll be alone for a bit, won't you? I know Nikita moved out yesterday."

"Yeah, but it's okay. It's only for a day or so," Lexi said. "Oh, I almost forgot! Speaking of Nikita, she and I are living together again next year."

"That's awesome! Same place?"

Lexi nodded. "Are you living with Felipe and DeShawn next year?"

"Yeah, we signed a lease for an apartment that starts in September," Isaac revealed. "It's gonna be a lot of fun."

"Are you gonna miss this place?" Lexi asked.

Isaac mused the question for a moment. "Yeah, actually. It's wasn't too shabby of a place to live in. It was big enough for us, and that's all mattered. Plus, Felipe and DeShawn make awesome roommates, so that's an added bonus."

"Good."

The couple exchanged smiles before beginning to kiss. Lexi slowly reclined on the bed, allowing Isaac to get on top fairly quickly. One hand went to her cheek, while the other rested on her hip bone. Lexi's hands were clumsy as they moved up towards Isaac's face. She held it as the couple continued to make out. The only sounds that filled the room were kissing, the bed creaking ever so slightly, and the rare moan or sigh that escaped them once in a while.

But before things could go any further, a knock on the front door of the house cut things short. Isaac jumped off Lexi, who also sat up with furrowed eyebrows.