Chapter 19

Isaac had returned to New York City on Monday and proceeded to hang out with Felipe and DeShawn at home for the rest of the day. They played video games while talking about their respective Thanksgiving weekend at length. He was glad that he had the chance to unwind with his friends before being forced to deal with school once again.

He tried to retain his focus during his classes the next day, but that proved to be difficult for an entirely different reason. His mind kept going back to his and Lexi's conversation from yesterday. He found himself more anxious than ever to see her again, but not nervous like he'd been prior to their previous dates. He didn't tell Felipe or DeShawn about this, but he did tell them that he was going to have dinner with Lexi. That happened when he'd returned home from class to freshen up first.

"Are you finally gonna get into her pants?" Felipe asked with a smirk.

"Fuck off, dude," Isaac snapped. "We're just having dinner at The Bean's Knees— that's it."

"Come on, give the guy a break," DeShawn piped up. "You obviously don't have to sleep with her, dude."

"I was only kidding," Felipe insisted. "Go have a good time, okay?"

Isaac's scowl turned into a bemused smirk. "Thanks."

He then left his place and walked the relatively short distance to The Bean's Knees. He arrived a few minutes later to find Lexi standing a foot or so away from the coffee shop. She was looking away from him, so Isaac took a minute to take in her appearance. Her long blonde hair was draped down her right shoulder in messy waves. She had on dark blue jeans, a black faux leather jacket, a red sweater, and flat black boots. She seemed to fit right in New York City despite her California roots. Isaac couldn't help but grin in her direction.

She's so beautiful.

"Are you okay over there?"

Stunned, Isaac almost jumped out of his skin. He blinked hard as Lexi cackled with amusement.

"I saw you standing there looking spaced out as hell," she explained between her laughter. "I'm sorry I scared you."

Isaac recovered quickly. "It's fine."

"Here," Lexi said, "maybe this will make up for it."

As Isaac tried to make sense of her words, she leaned in and pressed her lips onto his. He closed his eyes as his hands slowly threaded her hair, while hers held his face. They soon broke apart, with Lexi biting her lip in an anxious fashion.

"I guess I shouldn't be too mad then, huh?" Isaac questioned.

"I hope not."

"Okay, you win. Let's go eat."

Lexi nodded. "Sounds good."

They entered to find the place quieter than expected, leaving them with plenty of seating options to choose from. Isaac ordered for himself, and then Lexi piped up with hers. She reached for her wallet, but Isaac shook his head.

"I'll pay."

"Are you sure?"

"Oh, yeah."

Lexi rolled her eyes before they both moved off to the side to wait for their meals. They got their food and found a seat away from the few customers that were also seated. They then began to eat and spent a few moments enjoying dinner instead of chatting.

"So, how was your weekend here?" Isaac asked after some time had passed.

Lexi shrugged as she swallowed a mouthful of food. "Good! It's always so quiet on campus when there's a holiday or whatever. It was like that last year with Reading Week, and it happened again this year during the Thanksgiving weekend. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, though."