Chapter 8

Lexi didn't open her eyes until late Saturday morning. Her head was pounding, her mouth felt dry, and she moved slowly in bed. She curled underneath her comforter and sheets while trying to work up the strength to get up for the day. But after a few minutes, thoughts about last night popped up in her head. Of course, the moment that stood out the most was her and Isaac's kiss. Upon remembering that, she gasped and sat up in bed. A sharp pain hit her forehead, but it didn't faze her.

I can't believe I was so stupid!!! Why did I kiss Isaac? How could I let that happen?

Thinking fast, Lexi grabbed her phone and began texting him. She didn't want to call or visit his home in case he was sleeping in, so she chose to send him a large message to explain herself.

I hope this works, she thought as she sent it.

Lexi: I'm SO sorry I kissed you last night!!! I wasn't thinking! I was so drunk last night...please believe me. I don't normally do that. I didn't mean to kiss you, I swear to God! I hope you're not mad at me. I promise to never do it again. I hope we can remain friends.

Lexi crawled out of bed to take a long, hot shower. She needed to wash off all the leftover makeup, sweat, and notes of alcohol that clung to her face and body. She then threw her damp hair in a ponytail and put on a fresh face of makeup. She'd noted in her planner earlier that week to buy groceries today, so she needed to go out for an hour or so. Her grocery list was finalized while she ate breakfast and had a much-needed cup of coffee. She threw on jeans and a red graphic sweatshirt just as Isaac responded to her text.

Isaac: It's okay, you were pretty drunk last night! LOL I hope you're feeling better. I'm not mad at all. It's not a big deal. It's not like anyone saw us kiss, right?

Lexi: Right. Thanks, Isaac. I'm so sorry for acting like such an idiot! And I'm feeling better now, thanks for asking.

Isaac: That's good to hear. I'll talk to you later, okay?

Lexi: Sure, see you around!

Satisfied with how their brief conversation had gone, Lexi grabbed her purse and grocery bags before finally exiting her apartment.

"Hello, Lexi."

FUCK, I don't wanna deal with her right now, she thought with a silent scowl. Still, she turned to look at an all too familiar face.

"Hello, Cassie."

"I saw that you were at the boys' party last night," Cassie stated. "I happened to catch you going into Isaac's bedroom with him."

Lexi cringed but pulled herself together quickly. "Before you lose your shit, I'll tell you what actually happened. Some guy started feeling me up against a wall out of nowhere. I tried to get him off of me, but he wouldn't let up. Isaac saw what was going on and told the guy to fuck right off. Once he got away, Isaac took me to his room to make sure I wasn't hurt or whatever. I never asked him to do that, I swear! I left a couple of minutes later after he made sure I was fine. I know you probably won't believe me, but I promise you that's what happened."

Cassie didn't expect Lexi's rambling explanation. Her mouth was gaped open and her eyes held a sense of bewilderment. She soon closed her lips to frown a little.

"I guess that could've happened," she mused, "but I doubt it. Whatever."

With that, Cassie stormed off with a scowl on her face. Lexi exhaled a large sigh of relief as she began walking to the grocery store. She was glad things hadn't escalated, yet was somewhat ticked that Cassie hadn't believed her. Then again, she wasn't really surprised about the latter; she'd expected it from the get-go.

Let her believe whatever the hell she wants to believe, Lexi thought. Right now, I have better things to do than to worry about what she thinks of me.

***

"Lexi kissed you?"

"What the hell, dude?!"

Isaac chuckled at his roommates' reactions from him relaying what had transpired last night between him and Lexi. The three of them were sitting in the now clean living room when he had revealed what they had missed.

"Lexi also texted me this morning to apologize for kissing me," he added. "She blamed it on being drunk and not thinking, and then insisted that it meant nothing. I think she thinks I'm mad at her."

"Well, are you?" Felipe asked.

"No, it's not a big deal. I'm glad she apologized, though. But I know that she was really drunk last night when she did it, so that's why I'm not reading into it."

"Yeah, that makes sense," DeShawn commented.

"I'm so jealous that you kissed Lexi and I didn't," Felipe chimed in with a fake pout. "But I do believe her explanation 'cause she's never done that sober."

"I agree," DeShawn said. "But there is one thing I don't believe."

"What is it?" Isaac inquired.

"You act like her kissing you wasn't a big deal, but I honestly don't buy it. Don't act like it didn't affect you 'cause anyone would feel that way."

"Now that I think about it, DeShawn makes a good point," Felipe noted.

"You know, I think it affected Lexi more than me," Isaac explained. "She was so freaked out about our kiss last night, and she still seemed freaked out, given her text from this morning. I really wanna talk to her in person to make sure she's okay."

"That's a good idea," DeShawn piped up.

"Seriously, though— are you interested in Lexi? I mean, do you think of her as more than a friend?" Felipe asked.

Isaac shook his head. "No way. She's attractive, sure, but she's a good friend— that's it."

His answer didn't seem to convince his friends, but Isaac wasn't too concerned over what they thought of his relationship with Lexi. He knew where they stood, and she seemed to understand it as well. He valued their friendship greatly and knew better than to let a silly misunderstanding ruin it. That had happened one too many times last year, almost costing them their friendship back then. He sure as hell wasn't about to let that happen this year.

He and Lexi's kiss from the previous night wasn't brought up again until later that afternoon. Isaac was working on an important business paper when he received a surprise text from his ex-girlfriend.

Cassie: I saw you and Lexi sneaking into your bedroom last night. I ran into her today and asked her about it. She said that you helped her after a guy made a move on her, and then took her into your room to see if she was okay. Is that true?

Of course, she doesn't believe Lexi, Isaac thought as he groaned out loud. He wasn't interested in fighting, so he decided to nip this potential blow up in the bud quickly.

Isaac: Everything Lexi told you is true. I scared off an asshole that was groping her and then got her out of there. I would've done that for her, you, or any other woman caught in that situation. I hope you know that.

Cassie: Sure. I guess she was telling the truth after all.

Isaac waited for another text from Cassie, but he never got it. He figured that him confirming Lexi's story had told her pissed her off enough that she didn't want to keep talking to him. He knew she would change her mind again soon— no doubt so she could try once again to convince him to come back to her. But for now, he went back to working on his paper with a content grin.