Chapter 11

Cassie was spending Reading Week at her father's house in Buffalo. Since she hadn't had a chance to speak to her father since she moved back to New York City, she was more than eager to catch up with him about the good things that had happened at university. But her father was always so busy working two jobs— being a steelworker during the day and a security guard at night. As a result, she almost never saw him.

I wish things weren't like this, Cassie thought at one point, but he's doing what he can to make a living.

Luckily, her father had a rare day off from his second job on Thursday, leaving his evening free to do whatever he wished. He decided to treat himself and his daughter with take-out from her favourite restaurant. Cassie was immediately on board with the idea and was ecstatic to finally spend some quality time with her father. They sat together on the couch and happily enjoyed their order.

"I'm sorry you've been alone for most of Reading Week because I've been at work so much," her father began.

"It's fine," Cassie replied, her voice genuine. "I know you have to work a lot, which is why I've never complained or gotten upset over it."

Her father grinned. "Thanks for being so understanding, sweetie. So, how's school going?"

"Good, actually. It's harder than last year, but I'm slowly narrowing my focus to youth psychology and mental illness. That's what I want to study because it's my biggest interest. I've been getting low A's and high B's on all my assignments, and I did really well on my mid-terms."

"That's awesome!" her father exclaimed. He remembered how successful his daughter had been on her mid-terms. "You've always excelled at school. I'm so proud of you."

"Thank you, Dad."

"Oh yeah, I've been meaning to ask: how's dating going?"

Cassie winced. "Dad, are we seriously gonna talk about boys?"

"Sure, why not?" her father responded with an amused chuckle.

Dating was the one topic Cassie had hoped to avoid discussing while visiting home. Her father had learned all the details of his daughter's break-up with Isaac when it happened last spring. He'd encouraged her to date again once she was ready, but she'd given up long ago. Her father didn't know the truth, and she really didn't want him to. She quickly tried to come up with a half-decent answer to his question that would dismiss the subject altogether.

"Oh, it's fine," she finally piped up, "but I'm taking a break 'cause I've been focusing more on school. That must be why my marks are so high!"

"I can see that," her father remarked, beaming. "I really am proud of you."

"Thanks, Dad," Cassie replied. She tried to hide her newfound relief with a fake smile. Their exchange had stirred up unrequited feelings that she still held for Isaac, causing her stomach to tie itself into a massive knot.

I need to fix this, she thought when she and her father ended their meals. I can get him back!

That same thought would pop back in her mind a couple of days later when she was wandering around a local mall by herself. Mariana wasn't out with her because she was stuck baby-sitting her young cousins that afternoon. Despite that, Cassie didn't mind being alone; the two lived together anyway, so it wasn't a big deal to not hang out during their first full week off from school.

Mariana's absence turned out to be a good thing, as Cassie suddenly spotted Isaac browsing a men's' clothing store. He was with his father, but he soon stepped away from his son to go even further into the store. This left Isaac all alone, unaware that she was in the same mall as him.

Thank God Mariana isn't here, or else she would be dragging me away from him right this second, Cassie thought as she carefully approached her ex.

"Hey, Isaac."

Isaac jumped, almost dropping the shirt he had in his hands. He frowned when he realized who had spoken to him.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," Cassie assured. "I just really need to talk to you."

"I'm not interested in hearing it," Isaac dismissed. He began to walk away, but Cassie grabbed his arm to stop him in his tracks.

"I need to know why you left me," she begged. "What happened to us? I miss you so much."

Isaac shrugged off her grip as he scowled ever so slightly. "I thought I made it clear to you."

Cassie bit her lip. She hadn't meant to upset her ex-boyfriend, but it was better than not talking to him at all. She knew why he'd left her, but a part of her wanted to hear it again as if to confirm her lingering suspicions. "Isaac... Please..."

"You were so possessive, and we kept fighting over that and other things. I know we were a great couple during high school, but it turns out that we're just not right for each other. I never wanted to hurt you, but it was clear to me that our relationship wasn't working anymore."

"But Isaac, we can make it work. I'm willing to put in the effort! Why can't you do the same?"

"Because I'm not in love with you anymore. Jesus, we've been over this numerous times already! I can't be any clearer on why I don't want us to get back together. I'm done arguing or trying to convince you to accept it. I'm just gonna leave now 'cause I'm sick of talking to you."

Cassie watched her ex walk away without a moment's hesitation. She was tempted to call him out but promptly decided against it. They were in such a public place that she didn't want to embarrass or upset him more. She didn't want to upset his father, too, so she sauntered out of the store. Her mind was full of ideas of how to convince Isaac to take her back, but they'd have to be put on hold for now.

Isaac's mind was also full, but they weren't exactly positive thoughts. He couldn't understand why Cassie still hadn't gotten the hint that he wasn't interested in her anymore. He thought he'd been more than clear the last time they'd spoke, but he was definitely wrong.

What's it gonna take for her to believe me? I've moved on, even if I'm not dating anyone right now, he thought. There aren't any women that I'm even interested in.

As that last thought concluded, he suddenly recalled his previous interactions with Lexi. He remembered when she'd drunkenly kissed him at the last house party and how she'd insisted that it meant nothing to her. He believed the explanation at the time because she had been so drunk at the time it occurred. But thinking of their kiss now made his heart race for a change. Even though it only lasted for a minute, it had felt good to feel her lips on his.

Lexi's always been good to me, Isaac thought. She was there during my fights with Cassie, when I broke up with her, and has been willing to listen to me whine about my problems.

Isaac sighed; his thoughts left him unsure of what to do next. He remembered how he'd vowed to his roommates and even to Lexi that he was done dating. But maybe he needed to give it another shot. If anything, it was an attempt to stay away from Cassie and her antics. But more than that, he needed to put himself out there again. The fear of another disaster date taking place wasn't enough of an excuse to stay away.

I know what I need to do when I get back to school, he concluded.