Chapter 29

Lexi sighed as she sipped her coffee from the living room couch. She was glad that the weekend had finally rolled around; she needed an escape from the pressure of school, if only for a while. The weekend was her only chance to forget about her school obligations to a certain extent.

But that wasn't all that was on her mind. Snippets of the disastrous introduction between her and Isaac's parents still managed to haunt her when she least expected it. Then there was the memory of Cassie's most recent meltdown, which hadn't yet disappeared from her mind either. When put all together, it left Lexi in a pessimistic haze. She twirled a strand of her blonde hair with no real purpose or care.

"Are you okay?"

Startled, Lexi almost spilled her coffee. But she avoided it in a split second by managing to compose herself quickly. She set her mug done with a sigh as she ran one hand through her hair before glancing at her roommate.

"I just have a lot on my mind right now, Nikita."

"This doesn't have to do with tonight, does it?"

"No," Lexi replied. She recalled that Nikita had asked to host a party in their apartment to celebrate her birthday, which was fast approaching. Since her actual birthday wasn't until the following Monday, she'd wanted to host said party on Saturday. Lexi had agreed, albeit somewhat reluctantly.

"Then what's wrong?" Nikita asked. She took a seat beside her roommate with a concerned expression.

"I'm just stressed out, that's all," Lexi explained. "I know my major sounds like a joke, but it really isn't. I have so many papers and tests coming up that I think my brain's about to explode."

"Oh, I believe it," Nikita remarked.

Lexi snorted. "I'm glad someone does. But I also can't stop thinking about Cassie's outburst and Isaac's parents. All of the shitty things they said won't leave me alone, and it's pissing me off."

"I'm sorry about Isaac's parents being so...difficult if you will. And I'm sorry that Cassie can't stop being such a bitch."

"Thanks. God, I hate whining."

"You're not whining," Nikita said. "You're venting, and that's okay. I'd be venting like crazy too if I were you. Honestly, you're handling all this bullshit way better than me."

Lexi cracked a small smile. "Thank you, Nikita."

"Hey, it's the truth. By the way, I didn't invite Cassie to tonight's party."

"Oh, wow. But haven't you guys been friends since high school?"

Nikita shook her head. "Not really, no. I mean, we kinda hung out a bit back then, but that's it. I was never really friends with her— or with Mariana, for that matter. They're more like acquaintances to me. And considering how awful they've been to you since you've met them, I don't really want to be friends with such disgusting, petty people. I know Cassie's been far worse, but still— Marina's just as culpable for not stopping her best friend from acting like an asshole in public."

Lexi absorbed her friend's words slowly but didn't say anything in response.

"You didn't do anything wrong," Nikita insisted. "I'd honestly rather be friends with you than with those two."

"Oh, wow," Lexi remarked. "I didn't expect you to say all that."

At this, Nikita grinned. "Hey, it's the truth. Anyways, I'm gonna go out and grab a few things for tonight. I'll be out for an hour or so."

"Sounds good. I'll see you later."

After Nikita left, Lexi reheated her now cold coffee in the microwave. She then returned to the living room and grabbed her phone to text Isaac. She needed another distraction to keep her mind occupied, if only for a little while longer.

Lexi: Hey, what's up?

Isaac: Not much. How are you?

Lexi: Good. Nikita just left to grab a few things for her birthday party. I'm still chilling in the living room.

Isaac: Her birthday party is today?

Lexi: Yeah. Did I not tell you?

Isaac: I don't think so.

Lexi: Shit, I'm sorry. I thought I did! My bad.

Isaac: LOL it's okay.

Lexi: Do you wanna come? Nikita didn't invite Cassie, so I highly doubt she'll show up.

Isaac: Yeah, I'll come. I could always use an excuse to spend more time with you.

Lexi: LMAO You're funny. Come by my place at 7 or so.

Isaac: See you then, babe!

Lexi set her phone aside before taking one last swig of coffee. Tonight was already shaping up to be pretty damn good.

***

Cassie closed her eyes as she stretched herself out on her bed. Having just finished her latest paper a moment or so ago, she desperately needed to decompress. All she wanted to do at that moment was close her eyes and relax for as long as she could. She deserved it for all the time and effort she'd just put into her schoolwork. It was a reward that she'd been waiting for some time, but it had certainly been worth the wait.

Suddenly, Mariana entered their apartment and headed straight for her best friend's bedroom.

So much for relaxing, Cassie thought as the door opened.

"Hey, I— shit, did I wake you?"

Cassie shook her head. "No, I was just laying here. What's up?"

"I just heard from DeShawn that Nikita's celebrating her birthday tonight at her place," Mariana said. "I need an excuse to blow off steam, and I'm sure you do, too."

"You heard this from DeShawn and not Nikita?"

"Yeah."

Cassie sat up to mull everything over, only for a scowl to appear moments later. "That bitch didn't even have the decency to invite us!"

Mariana bit her lip. "I'm hurt, but I can't say I'm surprised."

"What do you mean?"

"Well...Nikita and Lexi are roommates and friends, so...I'm assuming that Lexi will be there tonight. Why wouldn't she?"

Cassie sighed and bit her lip. "Yeah, you make a good point. I guess I shouldn't be surprised either. So...do you still wanna go?"

"Yeah, I do," Mariana said. "I mean...there's gonna be a lot of our friends there, right?"

"Yeah, that's true."

"Look, Cassie...I know how things are between you, Lexi and Isaac. I also get why you're upset with them, and I'm on your side through all of it. But please, please don't do anything stupid tonight, okay? We're not even invited to this party! The last thing I need is for you to make a scene. I know you're upset with them, but tonight's not the night to lose your shit. Besides, it's Nikita's birthday, for Christ's sake!"

"Fine, I'll behave myself," Cassie said with slight defeat in her voice. "Should we start getting ready then? I like to take my time looking fantastic."

Mariana snickered. "That sounds like a great idea."