Chapter 23

Lexi flew home to San Diego a week after the end of semester party to enjoy winter break with her parents and extended family. But several flight delays due to an unexpected blizzard in New York caused her to not make it home until three days before Christmas. What followed for Lexi was a blur of visiting grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins from both sides of the family.

All of this lead to a large family dinner with those on her mother's side on Christmas Eve. She had to answer the same questions about her grades and life in New York City, but it didn't bother her too much. She accepted the fact that she'd have to endure it every time she saw them. It was something she simply expected.

Once Lexi's extended family had finally left that night, she stretched herself out on the couch with a tired sigh. Her parents sat at different chairs and watched her yawn loudly.

"Tired?" her mother asked.

"A little," Lexi admitted. "It's been a busy day."

"Yeah, it was," her father agreed.

"You've only been home for a couple of days, but I've hardly had a chance to speak to you," her mother added. "We know you did great this semester, but how's everything else?"

"Things are good," Lexi revealed. She then paused when she realized that there was one thing she hadn't told them. She sat up and ran her hands through her chestnut blonde hair.

"Is something wrong?" her father asked.

"Nothing's wrong but...something big has happened since I last saw you guys," Lexi replied. "I, uh...I have a boyfriend now."

Her parents exchanged wide eyes and opened jaws. Neither one of them had seen this revelation coming at all.

"A boyfriend? When did this happen?" her mother questioned.

"We started dating back in October, but we only became a couple earlier this month," Lexi revealed.

"What's his name?" her father asked.

"Isaac Ambros."

Her mother frowned in thought. "Is that the same guy who texted you when we were in Mexico?"

"Yeah. We actually started dating the following week. I didn't expect us to date at all, but I'm glad 'cause he makes me really happy."

"Where's he from?"

"Buffalo, New York."

"That's going to be a problem," her father piped up.

Lexi frowned. "Why do say— oh, yeah, I see what you mean. But I'm not too concerned about that right now."

"I think you should be," her mother countered. "How can you two make it work when you guys aren't in school? You won't be able to see each other."

"Texting, social media, and phone calls will have to do then," Lexi explained. "We know our relationship will have to be long-distance during summer; it is what it is. We'll worry about it more when the school year's almost over. Right now, we're more focused on what's going on now. That includes starting second semester and spending lots of time together."

"I suppose that's a good point," her father said. "I'm happy for you, sweetie. I guess going to NYU was a good choice after all."

"I guess so," Lexi laughed.

***

The topic wasn't brought up again until late the next day after Christmas dinner had ended. With Lexi's father watching a hockey game in the basement of their home not long after, her mother sat in the living room with her daughter. The two were busy chatting over old Christmas movies they'd seen hundreds of times before.

"I'm glad I was able to come home for Christmas," Lexi remarked. "I was having so much trouble getting here that I actually thought I wasn't gonna make it. I would've felt awful if that had happened."

"We would've understood, you know," her mother said. "We wouldn't have been angry at you. You can't control the weather, honey."

"True, but it's still annoying."

"At least you got here in time to celebrate Christmas. But there's something else I'd like to talk about."

Lexi couldn't stop the smirk that grew on her face. "It's about Isaac, isn't it?"

"Yes, it is," her mother confirmed. She paused to sip some of her wine. "This is the same guy that was dating that rude girl last year, right?"

"Yes, but they've been broken up since last spring."

"So it's been quite a while since he's dated someone else."

"Well, he did go on a few dates after breaking up with Cassie. But he told me that they were all disasters, so he stopped sometime during the summer. He even said at the beginning of the school year that he was taking a break from dating so that he could focus on his classes. I can't say I blame him. But I'm not sure why he changed his mind. I'm not upset about it— just surprised. I did mean it when I said that I wasn't looking for a boyfriend last time 'cause it was true. It all kind fell into place— as cheesy as it sounds."

Her mother laughed softly. "That sounds very sweet. And I did believe you when you said that. Things like this do happen unexpectedly, and that's okay."

"I guess," Lexi commented. "But there's still one problem— Cassie."

"Oh, dear," her mother said. "She's Isaac's ex-girlfriend, right? The one that kept harassing you?"

Lexi confirmed this with a nod. "It's like ever since school started, she's been on a mission to get Isaac back. Even when he was single, she kept trying to win him over. She kissed him without warning, screamed at us when she saw us kiss... things like that. She's just trying to cause as much trouble as possible to drive us apart. I'm more annoyed than angry 'cause I'm so used to dealing with it."

"I'm sorry, sweetie. I wish you didn't have to deal with her."

"So do I. And the worst part is that throughout all of this, Isaac has been extremely clear that he doesn't want to be with her ever again. I've seen him tell Cassie this right to her face! So, it's not like she can say that he hasn't told her how he feels— he's done it multiple times. But she refuses to accept the truth."

Her mother shook her head in disbelief. "Unbelievable. If I were you, I would always watch your back."

"Oh, believe me, I already am," Lexi admitted.

"Good," her mother remarked. "You shouldn't trust this girl whatsoever. She sounds like the type to take whatever she wants because she feels like she deserves it. You and Isaac need to be careful of the horrible stunts she's doing to try and break you two up. I have a strong feeling that she wants him more than anything else and won't stop until she gets him."

Lexi's previous smirk widened. "Oh, I'm more than aware of all the crap she likes to pull on us. You don't need to tell me twice, Mom."