Part 24

I panted heavily as I rolled next to Yennefer, the sorceress cuddling into my side, kissing the underside of my jaw

I panted heavily as I rolled next to Yennefer, the sorceress cuddling into my side, kissing the underside of my jaw. I placed my hand on her stomach, it would take some time before we knew for sure if the fertility potion had worked, but no matter what happened I knew I would still love Yennefer just the same.

"I love you." I yawned sleepily.

"I love you more." Yen pecked my lips as my my eye lids fluttered closed and sleep consumed me.

...

My nose twitched as I pulled Yennefer closer to my chest. A loud scream jolted my body out of it's peaceful slumber and my eyes widened when I noticed the wooden pillars holding the cieling up were up in flames.

"Yennefer!" I shook her body awake and her tired eyes met mine before widening when she too saw the fire.

"Hurry, get dressed. The elves are here!" I scrambled out of the full sized bed to put on my clothes and armor, strapping my swords to my back as I kept my steel sword in my hand.

"I'm going to the front line."

"I'm going to find Ciri." We both said at the same time, giving each other a very quick kiss before leaving the burning room. My eyes seemed to pop out of my skull as I noticed just how much of the castle was on fire.

Burnt corpses of the maids and some guards were littering the corridors and dining hall as I made my way to the queens chambers. From outside the windows I could hear the screams of men and woman being slaughtered and it sent a chill down my spine. In all my life as a Witcher I have never seen so much death in one place.

"CIRI?!" I yelled as I entered her chambers, this part of the castle seemingly untouched for now as I could feel the soot and ash on my face.

"CIRI WHERE ARE YOU?!" I yelled once more, looking through everything to try and find the lever or something to open the secret passage she had in her room. To my aid, the pannel near her bookshelf began sliding and a guard ushered me inside.

"It's the queen, she's giving birth." He informed me in a grave tone.

"What?!" I gaspsed, "It is far too early for her to give birth."

Pushing past him, I noticed the queen lying on the floor and her knees bent up as her chamber maid and another guard were telling her to push.

"It's too early for the baby!" Ciri cried in pain.

I pushed the guard to the side and took his place as I knelt down beside the ashen haired woman.

"Hey, Ciri. It's me, I'm here." I squeezed her hand tightly, "I know it's too early for our baby but they want to come out."

"They're not ready!" She screamed in pain.

"My queen, you must push!" The maiden said worridly as she glanced up at the pregnant woman and then me.