Chapter 9 - Leader

We left the roof quietly and quickly. Nevaeh hailing us a cab and instructing the driver to remember nothing of us, our faces, our conversations, our destination. There was maybe three seconds of silence before Ailech started in.

"Just so you know, I'm not an idiot. I know you didn't turn on the emotions just for today. And I already knew you and Jordan were...fixed, connected, reconciled? Whatever it's called when two broken halves become one. You're both cringe-worthy actors, so please, don't continue just for my sake."

James glared at him for only a moment before shrugging.

"I knew you wouldn't fall for it for long. You could sense my sickness after just meeting me twice at the Vault. I figured you'd be able to tell when we were unbroken-"

"Ah, unbroken. Thank you for the correct vocabulary for whatever you two have going on. As long as I don't have to see you 'connecting,' I'm fine with it."

Kael smirked from the other side of Ailech, looking more like the friend I had known the past fall. James looked up and took a deep breath through his nose, apparently beseeching the heavens for the patience to not strangle our healer once again, but I saw the slight tightening of his stance as he sat, the minute tension. It was as obvious to me as if he had blushed. He was embarrassed. It made me remember our kiss, the strange feelings of losing control, of wanting to hurt him, love him and kill him and devour him, something neither of us had talked about since. Probably because we didn't know what to say. Was it a True Pair thing? A Half thing? We couldn't exactly ask anyone why I had the urge to black widow him.

I glanced to the boys in time to see Kael wink at Ailech. He would have liked Syn, and Chimarah, he would have liked them all. Maybe not Horn and Halo, but I couldn't think of anyone that would get along with them. Except maybe Nevaeh, the old version of her. Though this new one seemed almost pleasant? I didn't expect it to last. I still thought she would have liked Spade, how they were both so beautiful and regal, how even their voices would have complemented each other.

I pulled my thoughts away from my surrogate Clan once again as I realized I had let my mind circle back to them. I shook my head slightly as if I could fling them away before staring out the window. I felt eyes on me a moment later, navy ones that somehow always had a weight to them.

What was that? That thought. I felt it, like a cringe but less, a shudder from you through my mind. It was new, and unpleasant.

I didn't know if he meant our bloodlust from my bedroom or Chi's Clan, but I sure knew which thought I would admit to right then.

Syn, and Chi. I keep thinking of them, I can't get them out of my head, like there's something I should kn- oh.

What?

We need to go to them, to get them. Bring them to the Vault. They must be in trouble, that's why I keep thinking of them. I had the same feeling the day of the Serpentine in the city, with you. I couldn't get you out of my mind.

I looked at my Pair, meeting his eyes that had been heavy on me since our conversation started. He nodded, letting out a sigh. Neveah was watching us now, her eyes flicking between us as if she could tell when we spoke to each other.

"Secrets are no fun, I thought there would be nothing hidden anymore. Care to share with the class?"

Her tone wasn't aggressive despite her words, like once again, she was trying to balance her old habits with this new version she had become. I was curious how she really felt, how deep her changes ran, but I kept my Gift far from her mind, though I knew she couldn't tell when I was poking around it, or she used to not be able to tell.