Chapter 11 - Cursed

We moved through the warehouse like a plague, or more accurately, like the cure to a plague - killing the Skia where they stood, leaving bits and pieces, burnt remains, or smudges of red on the floor. And though some had helpful powers, pain, speed, strength, none were a match for my Clan, especially caught off guard. Most of them didn't even get the chance to show their power, for me to learn what it was before they fell.

My soul sang as I sliced my way through the room, using my wind in creative ways that would have made even Zodi proud. My singing soul led me through the dance with death I loved so much, moving into a trance as I ended soulless life after soulless life. I felt something building in my chest, a pressure, like I was filling up. And then I realized what it was: joy.

This was my ecstasy, unfiltered and free, this was me acting out my nature without guilt or conscience, without morals or fear. This was me being exactly who I was, and more importantly, who I wanted to be. A Darkling, a Half, killing all the evil I could find, thwarting the Collector's plans, hurting him in any way I could to show him that I was coming. To send a message that this was just the beginning. I wanted him to know that he would no longer live without consequences for what he had done to his son, my Pair. I wanted him to know that he was guilty and I would be his demise, his judge and executioner.

I finally had my Pair, my Clan, and my purpose. In that moment I knew I could let my nature out fully without fear, because I knew I fought against evil. I wasn't innately good, I wasn't pure or holy by any means, but I was using all that I was, all my power to end the Collector's games, his plans, and to ultimately end him. I had no doubt in my mind that what we were doing was good, even if we weren't.

The Skia that were further in the building and had time to process what was going on before being cut down were finally organizing, most clutching weapons as they found whatever groups they normally worked beside. And though it added a layer of defense to my dance that hadn't been present before, I already knew the outcome of this fight. They would fall, each and every one, and we would walk out as gory as the day we were born.

A smile tipped the edges of my lips as I made it to a back room with wooden rafters crisscrossing the high ceiling and saw another group of Skia, their weapons trained on me. I threw out my arm, sending my wind to slice through the front two...but nothing happened. I tried again, focusing on the man closest to me, but nothing stirred, not even a breeze, let alone the packed scythe I had told to form. I sent out my Gift, feeling nothing, no minds, no fire from James, not even the presence or Kael or Ailech or Nevaeh who I knew were only a room behind me, finishing off their half-killed prey.

I felt my neck tilt, cocked in the same way James' always did when he was trying to figure something out. Then it came to me.

"Someone has a useful gift. But which of you is it?"

I settled my black eyes on each of the eight before me in turn, but I could glean nothing from their faces, and their minds were silent. Instead, I raised my knives before me, seeing the red that ran down my hands, staining my arms, sprays on my clothes telling the story of each death behind me.

"I'll find out another way then."

I barely recognized my voice through my Shift as I took a step forward, planning to kill each as I tried to use my Gifts until I could, marking that I had ended whichever one was the Human shield, by far the most useful power any of the Skia had.

I only got a few feet across the floor before my soles cemented to the ground. A flash of panic ran through me as I remembered all the times the Collector had forced me to be still, unable to take a step toward him, but I quickly stuffed the fear away. He wasn't here now. This was just another of their gifts. But it didn't matter, I could kill them even from here without my Gifts.