Chapter 34 - Damage Healer

James' and my plan worked perfectly, executed perfectly thanks to our silent communication. My lessons with Katz had clearly helped my ability to focus my Gift. At least when I knew to try. I still felt a lump in my throat when I thought back to the memories Malachi had been able to push on me in the forest. I shook the thought from my mind. That had been a loss, but this was a win. A big one.

I was nervous about trying to use my Sign, making sure Malachi couldn't choke James, but my Pair's calm mind had reminded me that the collar wouldn't let Malachi kill him, so even if my control slipped, he would be safe. I ordered my Air to listen and sent it to his lungs, his throat. And it had worked. Though my own chest, tight with anxiety, had trouble getting breath in. Pulling Malachi's emotions had come more as an experiment, one that James encouraged as soon as I told him I had taken Kael's sadness, some of it, after Ambriel. I had thought it was just my Pair I could share emotions with, help shoulder burdens for, but now it seemed I had yet another Gift, the inverse of Malachi's.

His reaction to me taking his anger, his shield, revealing the fear-turned-panic underneath was something I hadn't expected. I was only trying to see if I could get him to open up, to be honest. I would have stopped, given him back the wrath he apparently so desperately needed, but James directed me not to. And ultimately he had been right, we got the answer we wanted, even if I felt disgusted with myself for making Malachi suffer whatever his episode had been.

Once he left, James slowly approached, watching his footsteps as he thought, his dark hair hanging down in front of his eyes.

"You still mad at me?"

He sounded as sheepish as a wolf could.

"We have bigger issues," I said, not fully willing to let him off the hook just yet.

"Fair enough."

He remained silent and I knew he was waiting for me to speak, a small submission meant to make my anger ebb further.

"The Grayson plan was stupid you know."

"I know."

"And you should have told me."

"I know."

"And Malachi was right, your matching collars aren't friendship bracelets."

"I know. You done yet?"

I glared at him and he held my eyes.

"Fine. Which hurdle next: Chi's Clan, Abby and the prophecy, or Malachi and - whatever that was? Do we still have training sessions? Will Kael and Nev? Or Chi? What do we even do now? Next? How can we find your father?"

I tried to stop my questions from overflowing, but there were so many, always so much to wade through. Too much. I snapped my mouth shut before a dozen more questions could pile up.

"Let's give Malachi time. Chi too. I think Abby owes us some information, the prophecy is most important."

"You just killed his friend. Maybe give him some time too."

James' jaw tightened, and I saw his shoulders rising and falling as he calmed himself, pulling in deep breaths.

"So, everyone is mad at us or needs space from us. Perfect."