Chapter 16 - Ghosts of the Past

My Shift washed over me in shades of red and crimson, as if it knew I needed the added strength to make my shield hold. I felt each bullet hit like sand in a windstorm hitting bare skin, like my shield was an extension of my body. But despite the stings, the palpable feeling of my shield I had never experienced before, I smiled my razored teeth, knowing it had held, knowing nothing had broken through, feeling my shield still strong and intact.

James was now by my side and I more felt than heard a low growl emanate from him. It rumbled through my mind from my Gift, my Shift from our connection, and my body from his proximity. My smile tipped higher, wider. In my second Shift I knew that anyone attacking my Clan and Ailech, they wouldn't survive, not now that James and I had arrived. In my second Shift I had no fear. James' low sound seemed to wholeheartedly agree.

Ailech was still recovering from his surprise, blinking at the opening where the outside wall to our cabin had previously been, but Kael and Nevaeh's eyes had already found James, ever seeking their leader. I made to step forward into the dust and haze of the ruined room just as James gripped my arm, his touch like a live wire. He tilted his head to the side as if he was listening for something, his eyes closed. When they opened it was with a sneer, showing his tapered teeth for a moment, his face dark and beautiful like the devil himself. Then I realized he hadn't been listening, but looking, using his Sight to see out into the trees. My Gift prodded him as he released my arm.

Not a quad. A pair with two others who are not used to fighting together. One is Ambriel, the other is an old friend of mine. Take the others, and protect Ailech.

I nodded, walking forward and positioning myself in front of Ailech, waving him to stay behind, and though his eyes flashed, he listened. Kael and Nevaeh had already sought each other out, stances ready for the oncoming fight. But before James could warn him, say who was waiting out in the blinding light and forest, Kael straightened, his eyes wide as he stared out into the sun and settling debris as if he sensed something, or someone. As if he could feel his lost love just beyond the tree line.

His fist flew to his chest, pressing his knuckles into the left side above his heart as he stumbled back, sagging against the wall like he had been struck. And then he was gone, across the room and jumping through the missing wall to the dirt in a blur. Forest stretched as far as the eye could see, our train's tracks the only thing dividing the trees. He disappeared into the brush almost faster than my eyes could track.

James called once for Kael to return, but he didn't even turn as he disappeared from our narrow view. James glanced to me, just a reflex, a habit, before following his brother, vaulting over the broken wall out into the light in the silent, swift way only he could. Nevaeh took one step to follow, then paused, looking to me. The entire scene, from our arrival at the cabin, my shield in the initial attack, and now James and Kael's exit, only took seconds. But I wasn't afraid, I wasn't unsure or trying to decide, to comprehend. I felt calm, a deadly calm, dark and secure. And I smiled wider.

I knew Ambriel was here for Kael, someone from James' childhood was here for him, and two others for the rest of us. Four enemies coming for my family. The Collector should have known better, he should have sent more. Hell, he should have come himself.

I waved Nevaeh to go, to follow. She was out in the open space beyond our ruined cabin a second later. I turned to Ailech.

"Stay behind me, close. Heal any of us if we need it."

I followed the feeling of my Pair's power into the forest. making sure to slow myself enough to allow Ailech to keep pace. Soon, the sounds of fighting met us, though Kael was nowhere to be found. Instead, we were met first with Nevaeh as she split time between two enemies, a man and a woman. I sent a bar of air at the man's back, but quickly felt it dissipate before it reached him. So, one was an Air, too.