2

Briarwood-Octavian Country Day School

Girls' Bathroom

Tuesday, September 8th

8:13 AM

Cassia pursed her lips as she checked her reflection in the mirror of the small compact she pulled out from her designer tote, turning this way and that to ensure that she looked perfect at every angle. The light streaming in through the windows made her skin glimmer as if she were a goddess, and she gave her reflection a laser-whitened smile that stood out starkly against her red-stained lips. She pursed her lips, smacking them together a final time, before shutting the compact with a sense of finality, stuffing it back into her tote and turning towards the bathroom-sink mirror which was too far away to do the closeup reflection she'd needed.

Olivia, who'd had Vermont-imported maple syrup smeared on her glowing cheeks, was grinning as she wiped it off with a wet towel from the warming cabinet on the side of the room. Cassia's impression of the school had only risen as she stepped into the palace-worthy washroom the girls had led her into a minute ago, not that she expected any differently from the esteemed institution.

Briarwood-Octavian Country Day was a towering structure of darkened bricks and polished marble with a mass of crawling, green ivy that made the school look regal and elegant rather than decrepit. By the front there was a large, majestic fountain which spewed clear, bubbling water from the spouts of stone dolphins suspended in mid-air; whatever held them to the ground was hidden by the streaming water. Curving stairs led to the main entrance where gleaming, expertly carved doors were thrown open wide, welcoming the stream of boys and girls which raced into its depths. The hallways were polished marble floors, the boards, state-of-the-art SmartScreens, even the water was imported from an Italian spring. The school had boasted an impressive alumni, so she hadn't expected anything different of Briarwood-Octavian Country Day. It was the most expensive, most exclusive private school on the East Coast, much like how her old school back in Beverly Hills was its counterpart on the West Coast. Both had catered to the whims of the wealthy that graced their halls, ensuring their pampered, spoiled students entrance into the most elite universities across the country. They were simply building blocks for schools like Harvard and Yale, and despite her indifference towards academics and anything beyond high school what with her love of acting and already flourishing career, she knew how big an opportunity she had gained by being accepted by the Admissions Board.

Cassia snorted at the thought; it wasn't as if they would reject her anyways, with her being the daughter of the most famous celebrity couple in Hollywood and a skyrocketing career in entertainment herself as an award-winning actress. If it weren't for her mother forcing her to go to school instead of simply getting tutors, she'd be in the center of Paris modelling for Dolce and Gabbana's new line before flying off to California to star in a movie that now had its filming pushed back to the start of Thanksgiving break.

However, Cassia supposed she'd have to thank her mother for sending the family across the country, because she wouldn't have met the blue-green eyed boy she was currently enamoured with if it wasn't for her on-the-spot decision. She'd met Cam when sulking around her neighborhood after they'd first moved into their new, quite-modest (at least compared to their estate back in Beverly Hills) house. She'd been kicking a pebble when a voice had shouted, "Watch out!" and suddenly he was swerving into the bushes and toppling over to keep from hitting her head on.

She'd helped him (and his bike) out of the bushes, been entranced by his multi-colored gaze and the entrancing scent of Drakkar Noir, before introducing herself. Cassia hadn't been surprised that he didn't know who she was. It was a regular occurrence with teens her age. If they recognized her at all it was from her star parents, or all the high-tier award shows, or from seeing her on a billboard or in a fashion magazine; but the wide-screens she's frequented since she was a child tended to garner a mature-rating and just weren't produced for the age range of her peers, giving her a relative anonymity. The older generation that did watch the movies she featured in never cared to bother her as they might her older co-stars either so she was relatively at ease most of the time.