6

Briarwood-Octavian Country Day School

The Cafe, Table One

Wednesday, September 9th

12:11 PM

"As you all know, our beautiful institution has been a little crowded lately . . ." Principal Burns' nasally squawk began over the loudspeakers above. "Which is why I'm pleased to announce that we have created a charming little overflow facility for some very lucky students."

She glanced calculating around the cafeteria as she shifted herself on Cam's lap, his hand on her hip steadying her as her neck craned from where she was sat. He was completely ignoring the announcement, as was most of their table, instead deigning to chat with Josh about a dribbling move he'd seen online that he wanted to try out. The cafe, while quieter than usual thanks to the announcement, was still filled with soft mutterings and quiet murmurs that filled the eco-friendly cafeteria with a buzzing drone.

The warm amber lights above were soft enough that it didn't reflect off of anything, a fact she greatly appreciated due to the amount of glittery jewelry and sequined clothing that frequented the halls of BOCD. It was obvious that the girls here were desperate to snatch a boyfriend since they'd never truly had the opportunity to do so before. The seats were filled with young ladies sporting the finest designer clothing with hair perfectly curled, makeup perfectly done, and rehearsed giggles to show off whenever a boy said anything (whether it was funny or not). She felt thankful she didn't ever have to stoop that low as she noticed a girl eagerly give a boy her entire lunch with a batting of her eyes that the oblivious boy didn't notice in the slightest.

Her eyes continued roaming, finally landing on Table Eighteen, smack dab in the front of the cafe where they surveyed everyone else as if they were judges and them mere criminals. Massie Block sat at the head, Alicia and Dylan on either side of her as she finger-combed her hair, laughing suddenly at something the long-haired redhead said before flipping the glossy tresses over her shoulder. However, she couldn't stop the smirk from forming on her face as she noticed the thigh-high socks that she was sure were worn to cover her badly scraped knees.

Her eyes quickly slid over to Alicia, who sat a bit too stiffly in her seat for it to be natural. Obviously, she was expecting her to do something with the information she'd given her yesterday. When her eyes darted to her own she gave the girl a sly smile and Alicia's eyes widened before she quickly turned away again, her back to her as she engaged Massie in a talk, most likely gossiping about something nonsensical.

Claire looked quite defeated; her outfit wasn't nearly as cute as it was yesterday, eyes turned down to the table, and back hunched into a question mark that reminded her of Kori's abominable posture. At least the blonde seemed to understand that Cam wouldn't be returning to her. At the thought of such a thing even happening she frowned, lacing her fingers with the ones that still held onto her hip and squeezing softly, a gentle smile growing on her face as he immediately squeezed back and pressed a fleeting kiss to the side of her neck without hesitance. The act seemed so natural to him, for despite the affectionate move he continued talking to Josh without pause, not that she minded.

Kristen and Dylan, the two she had dismissed quite easily yesterday, were giggling to each other over something in a magazine that Kristen had only just pulled from her backpack. No, they weren't a threat - it was the other three she needed to keep her eyes on.

Principal Burns' unpleasant voice continued, "So will everyone seated at tables one through five, please gather your stuff and follow Ms. Dunkel and Mr. Hermann to your new home. Be sure to bring your lunches with you." She got up, as did the rest of the people she had carefully handpicked, and glided her way out of the Cafe with Cam at her back.