13

The Castilla Adrieux Estate

Cassia's Suite

Monday, September 14th

9:17 PM

Cassia knew that her face was ugly and red, splotched with the color of raised blood and dried tear tracks. Her nose was, undoubtedly, just as bright as Rudolph's iconic nose, and it itched irritatingly from how often she'd had to blow her nose. Cassia pushed herself further into her mother's side, Delphine giving her daughter a concerned look but ultimately clutching her closer to her chest. Wrapped in the warm, comforting cocoon that only a mother could create Cassia found herself wishing that she'd stayed closer to her during the move to Westchester; her mother wouldn't drop her after a simple disagreement, or treat her so callously that she wondered why they even bothered to date her in the first place if something so simple and stupid could break them apart. No, her mother was absolute in her love for her, and Cassia found herself craving that as her hand gripped the satin blouse her mother was wearing, undoubtedly ruining the expensive-feeling fabric (it was most definitely designer, but she didn't care . . . well she didn't care greatly - she only hoped that it wasn't a limited edition, but her mother rarely wore such pieces around the house with a messy two-year-old toddling around).

As her hand, smooth and soft with the hand lotion that she used religiously (prescribed by her dermatologist), ran up and down the side of her arm, she found that the holes in her heart were beginning to close with familial affection; Cam running away from her, his fierce glare, the scathing look her gave her when their eyes met at the end of the day, his refusal to answer her text, they were each a punch to her heart that felt being soothed as her mother soothed her, undoing the cornrows at the front of her head, tenderly detangling her hair then wrapping it in a satin bonnet, and guiding her to wash off her makeup before tucking her into the overly-large bed in the way that she hadn't done since she was a child.

She pressed a gentle, yet warming kiss, the top of her forehead, smoothed down the duvet, and turned off the lamp beside her. She told her quietly to get some sleep, her voice ringing in the quiet room, before the door closed behind her. She was glad that her mother hadn't asked what was wrong, only cradling Cassia in her arms as she cried. She knew that if she had to recount what happened that day it would take hours to get out around her nonstop tears.

Her phone pinged with the sound of a notification. It had been doing so all day (sometimes she truly hated knowing so many people - especially when she simply wanted to wallow in her grief) and she huffed, rolling over on the California King size bed in order to reach over, feeling for the small, gem-encrusted, metal device on her nightstand table. The edges of her fingers finally clipped the phone and she grasped it quickly, pulling it towards her as she flipped it open. She squinted her eyes as the brilliant, blue-toned light shone like a bright headlight in her face, sighing as she reached over and turned the dial to set her lamp to shine low.

There, right at the top, was a message from Derrick that quickly had her face crumpling in sadness again.

Derrick: u kno whats up with cam?

Her thumbs stilled just above the keyboard before she sighed, curling into herself and typing slowly. The message sent with a small whoosh sound.

Cassia: i wouldnt kno

he broke ^ w/ me

Derrick: ur shitting me

She couldn't help the amused snort that exited her, snickering lowly into her palm as she typed with her other hand.

Cassia: i wish

Derrick: why he break up w/ u?????

Cassia: dont kno

he wont answer my calls or texts

That's all she'd done during the drive home from school - send rather desperate texts that turned their chatboard into a series of one-sided apologies and question marks, and call him endlessly until her calls stopped going through entirely.

Cassia: i think he blocked me

Derrick: sure someone didnt hack him?

A small smile tilted the corner of her lips.

Cassia: y do u think he was ignoring me @school?

Derrick: a clone then

Cassia: he just doesnt like me anymore i guess

Derrick: i literally dnt think thats possible

wat evn happened?

Cassia flushed deeply at the thought of telling Derrick about such an intimate situation that had happened between her and Cam. She'd never been the type of girl to kiss and tell. Even though they were broken up, she still wanted to keep the private moments between them private, unknown to anyone else besides them. But she desperately wanted to know why Cam had crushed her heart so callously, and maybe his best friend would have enough insight to know why what happened in the car made him push her away so fiercely.

Cassia: we were carpooling

we were in the line and started making out

and i accidentally rubbd ^ against his thing

then he pushed me away and hasnt talked to me since

Derrick: im so sorry my best friend is such an idiot

Her eyes brightened with hope.

Cassia: u kno y he doesnt want me??

Derrick: he got embarrassed

Cassia: well yea but i told him i dnt care

Derrick: we're men Cas

we care

Cassia: ur boys not men

Derrick: Cas

Cassia: sorry

Derrick: hes embarrassed that he got a boner in front of you

Cassia: so he stops talkin to me? he blocks me???

Derrick: thats just cam being an idiot

just drag him into a closet 2morrow

dont let him out til u talk

Cassia: then hell like me again?

Derrick: hell??

Cassia: he'll*

Derrick: oh

he nevr stopped liking u

Cassia: thx D

guess i just needed a boys perspective

Derrick: ahem

Cassia: mans perspective*

Derrick: np, ill c u 2morrow

Cassia: see u, nite

Derrick: nite Cas

I gladly welcome constructive criticism and comments - I'd love to hear what you have to say! Follow me for sneak peeks that I post in my conversations tab and check me out on Pinterest @EddaValkyrie for real-life Instagram pages of the characters. Thanks for reading! Vote if you liked it!