11

The Castilla Adrieux Estate

The Cabana

Sunday, September 13th

11:32 AM

Cassia was smiling so brightly that her cheeks hurt, but she couldn't bring herself to care. She'd felt almost starved for female companionship ever since she left her Red Carpet life to move up here to Westchester. Being stuck with only Kori, Olivia and Coral to talk with over the summer left her drained and often wishing that she'd begged harder to stay in Beverly Hills. She'd had so many friends there: the girls from the kids' channels: Miley, Emily and Alyson from Disney, Victoria, Erin, Alexa, Miranda and Emma from Nickelodeon (she'd never vibed right with Jamie Lynn) and her co-stars: AnnaSophia from 'Tallahatchie River', and Kristen, who she met on Joshie's set for 'Zathura', who acted more like an older sister than a friend, and so many more she didn't have the time to name. Her contacts were full of people, but texting and calls were not the same as face-to-face interactions and she found herself oh-so grateful for her new group of friends.

She'd had the cabana completely outfitted for Self Care Sunday (which she had deemed to be a weekly occasion). Six, patent-leather massage chairs with velvet pillows were surrounded by marbled side tables and cashmere dog beds (with a heating mat underneath for max comfort). Pearlescent white lounge chairs were hidden behind a japanese bamboo screen and the bubbling hot tub must have been perfumed with some sort of oil due to the wafting scent of freesia rising from the steam, making it look ready to be placed on the cover of Architectural Digest. The surround-sound speakers were set to a calming playlist and the fireplace crackled and popped, keeping away the slight chill as summer faded into autumn. Custom-made Bernardaud crystal bowls had been pulled out and filled with an abundance of high-cal snacks (courtesy of Luna), and there was a separate brunch set up on the intimate, dimmed bar tucked into the corner of the room. Over their designer swimsuits they shrugged on crushed velvet robes. They had been tailored to each of them, draping down to the knees, dyed with their favored colors, with their initials embroidered on the right breasts. Designer flip flops slapped down onto the marble flooring as they tittered and gossiped on their way to the brunch buffet, grabbing golden-rimmed porcelain plates and happily indulging in the array of delectable dishes: french toast topped with honey whipped cream and candied pecans, apple butter and maple cinnamon rolls with a pumpkin-vanilla glaze, a caramelized shallot and gruyere quiche with a rosemary crust, eggs benedict with fresh arugula, smoked salmon and an avocado hollandaise, banana pecan crunch muffins, cheesecake-stuffed red velvet belgian waffles, crisp hash browns, a spinach salad, vegetable omelettes and fresh fruit yogurt parfaits that were staying chilled as the cups rested in a bowl of ice.

She felt the vibration of her phone against her thigh through the crushed velvet of her pearl-white robe. She pulled the flip phone out of her pocket and flicked it open with the tip of her thumb. Her lips, which had pulled down into a frown at the thought of someone interrupting her first Self Care Sunday, pursed at the unknown number that flashed irritatingly across her screen. For a moment she thought of rejecting it, but eventually sighed as she made the final decision that, yes, she would answer it.

Her Jimmy Choo wedges clacked noisily against the polished floors as she walked a little ways away from the buffet, clicking the flashing green button and holding her phone up to her ear. "Hello? May I ask who's calling?" She asked professionally, crossing an arm over her chest as she shifted her weight to one leg. It had become a common thing for her to do subconsciously after having to do the pose so many times when modelling.

There was a moment of silence on the line. "It's Massie."

Her eyes sparked with intrigue as she walked a bit further away from her crew, leaning against the beautifully crafted french doors that led to the glittering pool. Her last interaction with Massie Block was watching her and her crew (except for Claire, who didn't seem to have forgiven her during Friday's school day) speedwalk (really, it was almost running) into her Range Rover when the boys broke into a loud chorus of boyfast at the front of the school, a dozen other kids joining them as they shouted the lyrics across the grounds. She'd been sat on Cam's lap, and despite nearly being deafened by his yelling, hadn't been able to keep from bending almost entirely in half with the force of her laughter.