Chapter Three: Dying

I become aware of my thoughts as soon as I begin to stir, and most of them are about the impossible amount of pain I'm in. I'm sure I dreamt, but thankfully, I don't remember. I take a deep breath and groan as I sit up.

"Thank god."

Onyx's unexpected voice catches me off guard, making me jump hard.

"Didn't mean to scare you, little wolf."

"You didn't."

"Then why did you... wait, I feel like we've been here before."

I laugh, and pain shoots throughout my body, and I grimace. Onyx gently caresses my arm and brushes my hair back.

"Go back to sleep, hun. I won't go anywhere."

"I'm not tired. I need to stretch my legs."

"You can't."

"Sure I can. Watch me."

I swing my legs over the bed and stand up, then drop to the floor with a shriek of pain and a throbbing in my ankle. Onyx sighs as he picks me up and places me back in bed.

"You idiot. Your ankle is broken. You won't be walking for a week."

"A week? Please, Onyx, I heal faster than that."

"No, you don't. Not anymore."

Memories from yesterday flood my brain. Kissing Onyx, Doc's results... Pine.

"What's wrong with me?"

"Doc doesn't know. All we know is that it's hitting you like a ton of bricks, and if he can't figure out what to do or how to treat it.."

"I'm dead. I heard."

"Then recklessly ran off, got yourself caught in a trap, then were almost killed by Pine. Honestly, Mallory, what the fuck were you thinking? He nearly killed us both. That was so stupid."

My anger flares, and I sit back up, despite the pain.

"What was I thinking? I just listened to Doc tell you that I'm dying! It doesn't even fucking matter if Pine killed me. It's going to happen anyway."

I jump and nearly fall out of bed as Onyx sends his fist through the wall. He looks over at me, uncontrollable anger in his eyes. He yanks his fist back out and walks out of the room, and I hear the door open and then slam shut. I spend the next several minutes trying to break through his thoughts. He's fighting it, but he can't ignore me forever.

"Onyx, I'm sorry. Please come back. I.."

I feel bile in my throat and swallow hard. I hate showing emotion.

"I'm scared. I don't want to be alone. I can't be.."

I respond unconsciously and lay back without a sound at Onyx's silent order. The door opens, and Onyx quietly runs into the room, closing and locking the door behind him.

"Listen, I'm taking you to my father's old cabin."

"He doesn't have an old cabin."

"That's kind of the point. No one knows it even exists. The pack has spread out completely, and Pine is nowhere to be found. His scent is all over your kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, closet..."

He growls the next word with a clenched jaw and fire in his eyes.

"...in your bed. Pine was in your fucking bed Mallory. You're going into hiding, he's been in your home multiple times, and the freshest scent is from less than an hour ago."

"Onyx enough. I'm not going into hiding. That's ridiculous."

"Yes, you are. No arguing."

"Onyx.."

WarriorsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara