Chapter Twenty-One: Bloodstone

When I wake up, it's still early in the morning. The sun isn't up yet, but it will be soon. Fergus is still asleep, and he looks so peaceful. I lightly brush my thumb over his cheek, kiss him, and then stretch. Despite being out for as long as I was, I feel great. I'm starving and can feel my wolf stirring at the smell of the various animals nearby. I shift and make sure to stretch out well. Everything feels good, so looking back at Fergus, I head out to hunt. The air is cool and feels nice. It's been too long since I've been able to enjoy letting my wolf take control and act on instinct. It's not a good idea to do it too often, or you'll do it more and more until you're always in wolf form and the person you once were is long gone.

I sniff the air and catch the scent of some deer nearby so I give up control and my wolf runs hard after her prey, craving the hunt. The deer is directly in front me now, he doesn't even notice. Before he can react, I soar through the air and lock my jaws on his neck. I rip into him and start tearing off chunks of meat before it's even dead, my wolf absolutely famished. I let her eat the whole thing before taking back control. I'm a mess and have to clean off but I don't want to go to the cabin without telling Fergus. I decide to go to cave first to wake him up. It's just ahead and I see Fergus walk outside and sniff the ground. He looks up when he hears me and happily runs to me.

"There you are. Did you go hunting?"

"Yeah, I was hungry, and you were still sleeping. I didn't want to wake you up."

"Next time, wake me, please? Even if only for company."

"Sure. Do you want to go to the cabin with me? I'm sure you can tell, but I need to shower."

"Well, you are tough. You spend a lot of time with blood on you. Maybe you like it."

"Not really. Being clean is much more comfortable. Being covered in blood makes you look terrifying, but it's also really sticky."

He laughs, and we walk side by side to the cabin. The sun is up and once we get to the cabin the clock says it's a quarter after eight. I shower while Fergus makes breakfast. I feel much better having showered and whatever Fergus made smells delicious. He has bacon, eggs, sausage, toast, and orange juice on the table and pulls my chair out for me with a smile. I laugh and put my arms around his neck to kiss him before I take my seat. It's almost nine, so we decide to wait here for my dad and Shadow.

"You feeling ok Mal?"

"Yeah. Great, even. I want to get the packs together today. It's been so long, and I'm itching to get back out there."

"It's still too soon."

"I'm ready."

I stand up to take my plate out, and he grabs my hand.

"Mal, wait. I talked to Grimes and I think it's a good idea that I talk to you."

"About what?"

"Sit back down."

"Why can't I stand?"

"Just... please?"

I sigh but sit, suddenly very uncomfortable.

"Grimes mentioned that he thinks you may need someone to talk to about what happened with Onyx, and I'm beginning to think he may be right."

"Someone to talk to? You aren't talking about a friend."

"No. A professional."

"Right. And what is it you expect me to say? I'm going to go in and tell them that my fiancé, who can turn into a wolf at will, cheated on me and then slashed my throat open, but here I am... I didn't die. No, I'll be locked up. People outside of this town have little to no knowledge about us, Fergus. We're pretty much a myth."