Chapter Fourteen: Ashes to Ashes

It's been two weeks, and things are mostly back to normal, whatever normal is now. Shadow is downright huge and talking; Doc was wrong about the timeline, and so was Fergus. He's the size of a six-year-old, and Onyx and I are running around like crazy after him. Zoom loves to play with him, though, so he stays busy. Grimes has been working with the pack non-stop, and they're all much faster. Not as fast as me, Fergus, Grimes, or Onyx, but they're faster than they were. Onyx was forced to lay in bed for a couple of days while his leg healed, and he started getting bored and angry, then became nearly unbearable to be around. All he seemed to want to do was fight over everything. He was doing good walking around on it after it healed, though, and wanted to go to Reid's house a couple of weeks ago to have some drinks. He was in a great mood when he came home, and I was happy he had fun. After that, he seemed to calm down and didn't fight with me anymore. He went back last week, I offered to go with him, but he said he wanted some pack time. I'm glad that spending time with the guys helped him. Right now, Onyx and I are lying in bed, reluctant to get up and start the day.

"I say we lie through our teeth. Tell Grimes to take your pack out with mine, ask Fergus to keep an eye on the kids, and tell them we didn't sleep well. You've been so busy working with the pack, and I never see you anymore. We haven't had five minutes of alone time in the past couple of weeks, hell the past month."

"I know. It sucks, and I'm sorry, I feel bad, but our packs have to keep training. Threats are always out there; eventually, they'll come looking for trouble."

"They can train together, and we can stay in bed. Please? I need this."

Someone knocks on the door before I can answer, and he sighs.

"It's open."

Grimes comes in carrying two plates of breakfast for us and smiles.

"Morning, guys."

"You made breakfast?"

"Yeah. My mother was a chef, and I always helped her when I was younger."

"You didn't have to do that, but thank you, Grimes. How's the pack?"

"Good. After you're done eating, the pack wants to get going. They're getting antsy."

Onyx nudges me and raises an eyebrow, and I sigh. I don't want to lie about being sick.

"Uh, Grimes, I have a favor to ask."

"Anything for you, boss. What's up?"

"Onyx and I have something we have to take care of, and it'll take all day. Would you mind taking the lead today? Take them back home to the field and train there with Onyx's pack."

"Oh, of course. No problem at all, boss. Reid and I have gotten close, so it's all good."

"You're the best, Grimes. Send Fergus in, please."

"Sure. Be careful out there. Howl if you need us."

"Will do."

He walks out, and we hear him tell Fergus that the master wishes to speak with him, and we laugh. Fergus pokes his head in, and I study his face. He looks bad, real bad.

"Don't take this wrong, but you look like death. You feel alright?"

"Yeah, just tired. Zoom has been having nightmares and wakes me up."

"Oh, never mind. Go get some sleep."

"No, I'm alright. What's up?"

"We have something to take care of, and it'll take most of the day, so I was going to ask if you mind watching the kids."