Chapter Eleven: Savior

"Mallory, what the fuck are you doing?! Get up! Let's fucking go! Come on!"

I don't answer. Fergus' voice is muffled like I'm underwater. He nudges me with his shoulder and nips at my hand, but I don't even feel it.

"Snap the hell out of it, Mallory! Come on, get up!"

I still don't react. Fergus snarls and gives up on me, then turns his back and runs after Pine. All of the fight leaves my body, and I fall the rest of the way to the ground, my cheek hitting the cool dirt. I hear snarling in the distance but can't make myself move. I might as well be paralyzed. I hear loud yelps and screaming; the sound would terrify me if I could feel anything. I close my eyes and pray that anyone will come along and kill me. At least then, I can finally be at peace. I hear paws running towards me but don't open my eyes or move.

"Mallory, get up. Someone wants to see you."

My eyes snap open at the sound of my dad's voice. Fergus is beside him, and on his back, safe and sound, is Shadow.

"Shadow!"

Fergus lays down for Shadow to get off and run to me. I hold him to me as tight as I can and cry hard.

"My baby! My sweet boy, I thought I lost you! I should have done something. I'm such a horrible mother! I am so, so, so fucking sorry, Shadow! I promise he will never, ever lay a hand on you again!"

My dad shifts back and walks up to me, and I stand to hug him.

"Thank you, dad. I won't forget this."

"How old is he? Who is his father?"

"Only a few days old, but he's growing very quickly. He's probably about the size of a six-month-old which is strange, but that's another, really long story I don't want to get into. Onyx is his father."

"He's adorable. You did good, kid."

"Thanks."

I turn to Fergus, and he's shifted back as well. He smiles warmly at me, and I see blood coming from his shoulder. I step forward and wrap my arms around his waist; his hand rests on the small of my back.

"Fergus, I'm so sorry."

"For what?"

"When Pine took Shadow, I gave up. I should have kept going. I should have fought, but instead, I shut down, and you ran after him and saved my son's life. After everything I've done and said to you, you came through for me again and saved my life this time."

"Don't worry about it, Mal. I can't imagine the pain of having your child ripped out of your arms by someone who would most definitely kill them."

"Where is he? Where is Pine?"

"He ran. He's hurt pretty badly."

"Dad, I need you to take Shadow back to the cabin, and Fergus, I want you to go with them."

"And where are you going?"

"After Pine. He dies today. This ends now. My family will not live in fear of him any longer."

"You're going to need back up. I'm coming with you."

"I'll be fine, Fergus. I want you with Shadow. Do not let him out of your sight. Do you understand?"

"Yeah, I guess, but..."

My dad clears his throat and steps forward.

"May I cut in?"

"No. Now go. All of you."

Shadow whines and hugs my leg. Fear is in his eyes.

"I have to go, baby. I need to make sure daddy is alright. Fergus will make sure that you're safe. I will be back for you, Shadow, I promise. I need you to do something for me when you get back home, ok?"