Chapter Thirteen: Revenge

I wake up to Onyx shaking me gently and calling my name. I open my eyes, and it's dark, so it's probably early morning.

"What's wrong? Who's dead?"

"No one, just worrying again. You were very still. How do you feel?"

"Good. Just sleepy."

I stretch and roll over to lay my head on his chest, and he kisses the top of my head and holds me tight. I was dreaming about Levi and my conversation with him the day he died. Guilt settles in, and after everything that happened, I decide it's been long enough. Pine nearly killing me was too close of a call to keep this from him any longer. I sigh and sit up, running my hand through my hair.

"Everything alright?"

"No. We need to talk. I have something to tell you."

"Did something else happen with him?"

"Oh, no, it's nothing like that. I've been keeping something from you, and after what happened with Pine, it's time to come clean. You deserve to know the truth."

He jumps up and balls his hands into fists as he starts shaking. He's pissed.

"It is him. He didn't just kiss you that night, did he? You slept with Fergus."

"Oh my God, no! Will you stop jumping to conclusions? It's about your dad."

"You slept with my fucking father?!"

"What the fuck is wrong with you, Onyx?! Of course not, get it together! You know I was a virgin when I slept with you; I've never slept with anyone but you. Calm the hell down."

He sighs in relief and sits back down.

"What about my dad?"

"The day he died, after you and I split up in the woods when Pine went rogue, I saw your dad. I was the last one to see him alive. He was fighting with my dad."

"About what?"

"Pine. Your dad knew what Pine was planning weeks before it happened, but my dad didn't. When he found out, my dad wanted to split the pack into two groups and go after Pine from different angles, like how we hunt. The only thing is, Pine wasn't acting alone. He had an even bigger pack than your dad's at his disposal, and your dad knew it. After my dad stormed off and ran after Pine himself, I was angry, so I confronted Levi. He told me he was working with Pine and made a deal with him."

He stiffens up and starts shaking again, and I feel the heat coming off his skin. If I'm not careful, I'll set him off.

"What?! My father was not a fucking traitor Mallory!"

"Onyx, he told me all of this to my face, and I don't even think that he meant to. He was so pissed, and there was so much going on. He said that the people in our town we protect didn't appreciate the pack and everything they do and sacrifice for them, and he hated them for it. He hated the pack for having more respect for my dad; he hated my dad for said respect. He hated me. He accused me of filling your head with lies even though I had no idea about anything happening because my dad ignored me. After I got in his face, he said that Pine double-crossed him."

"I... what?"

"Pine didn't want a partner, he wanted complete control, and your dad didn't want to give up anything to Pine, so he was going to fight him, and he knew he wasn't going to survive. I tried to talk him out of it and told him you needed him, but he wouldn't listen. All he cared about was having control. I hit him, and he hit me back, then he apologized. He must've felt bad because he said that he didn't mean things to turn out the way they did and that things weren't supposed to get that bad. Then he made me promise I would never tell you the truth about what happened."