Chapter 02: The Forgotten

Derek woke first the next morning and headed into the kitchen to make breakfast, he knew that his aunt would turn up before she'd eaten and before any of the pack were awake. That was something that he remembered, she was always the first one up when they were kids. Peter was generally up minutes after her, so Derek had a feeling that his uncle would be joining him.

"Derek, what are you doing?" Peter yawned walking down the spiral staircase and heading to his nephew.

"Coffee, because I can just about guarantee Jackie will be here before anyone else is up," Derek answered, thinking back to when he was six years old and Jacalyn would be standing in the kitchen and he'd try and sneak up on her.

"What makes you so sure?" Peter questioned, leaning against the counter as Derek pulled out a third mug.

"Because I can hear her walking down the street now," Derek said as his attention was focused outside, he could hear footsteps and the wheeling of a suitcase. "She has a suitcase..."

"Well I guess little sister isn't going anywhere," Peter said as he picked up on what Derek was hearing, the footsteps hadn't changed at all. "You did tell her that you had three betas living with you didn't you?"

"No, didn't have a chance. I think she already knew," Derek answered looking to Peter, he was still trying to work out why Peter was currently insisting on staying at the loft with him.

Derek and Peter stood with the kettle brewing a fresh pot of coffee, both of them enjoying the smell while still listening to the footsteps closing in. Peter had a feeling that his little sister would be having someone send the rest of her belongings to Beacon Hills once she had decided on where she was living. When the footsteps and the wheeling of the suitcase stopped, the kettle finished brewing the coffee. Derek poured three cups of coffee as Peter went and pulled open the loft door to reveal his sister Jacalyn.

"Big brother," Jacalyn smiled at Peter before she was innocently whacking him upside the head. "What would Talia say if she knew what you had done?"

"Jacalyn," Peter sighed, before pulling her into a hug and kissing the side of her head. "Nothing that I'm sure you're not going to say to me later,"

"After coffee, that I can smell. Derek," Jacalyn said as Peter let go of her and picked up her suitcase, pulling it inside with the intention of taking it up to the top of the spiral stairs. "How's my favourite nephew?"

"Jackie," Derek grinned, before he was walking over to her and hugging her before giving her the fresh cup. "How long have you known something was happening back here?"

"Honestly?" Jacalyn questioned taking a mouth of coffee as Derek nodded. "Since you called and told me about Laura,"

Derek lead Jacalyn over to his bed where the two of them sat and talked. Jacalyn yawned, running a a hand over her face as she looked at her nephew. Derek wanted to ask her questions, but remembered that she was always more civil after having coffee in her system. Peter watched from the kitchen counter as Derek and Jacalyn talked, Derek doing more than his sister.

"The beta's will be awake soon," Peter said as he moved from the kitchen to in front of his sister and Derek. "Ask Jacalyn what you wanted to know,"

"Peter, Derek?" Jacalyn raised her left eyebrow at the two of them as she looked between them. "Spit it out,"

"One of my betas...he...there's something about him," Derek said, as he took Jacalyn's cup and his own before setting them down on the floor.

"Derek, sweetheart. Use your words," Jacalyn smiled at him, as she waited for him to find the words to ask the correct question.

"When you and Peter left Beacon Hills...why did you really leave?" Derek questioned, Peter had always skirted around answering him especially when he came home without Jacalyn.

"I had to get away, I had always planned on coming home – Talia understood that...she knew it was hard for me," Jacalyn bit her lip as she looked away from Derek and at Peter who nodded for her to keep going. "You know Peter, you didn't have to keep this to yourself,"

"I did though, Talia threatened me," Peter said, it was the truth Talia had threatened to disown him if he ever told her children why their aunt had left.

Derek looked between Jacalyn and Peter as there was movement coming from Boyd, Erica and Isaac's rooms. Peter shrugged, they could either come out or stay in their rooms he didn't care either way. Jacalyn looked at Peter and then back at Derek before she started talking again.

"Do you remember when I was eighteen? You would have been around eight," Jacalyn questioned, Derek nodded he remembered a little mainly running into the kitchen to steal her food.

"Stealing your food, and having you chase after me. Mom yelling at me that I wasn't meant to be making you run," Derek said, he'd forgotten about that and now it was sticking out and he didn't know why.

"I was pregnant that year, I had a baby boy at the end of November...with bright blue eyes," Jacalyn told him, pausing for a second as she listened to the movements of the loft. She may not have been a werewolf but she'd grown up with a family full of them. "Your beta's are awake,"

"What happened to the baby? And how the hell do you always do that?" Derek questioned, he wanted to know why now all of a sudden the memories were coming back.

"He was taken in by his father...and wife, they already had an eight year old boy...I couldn't let him grow up like I had and Talia understood that," Jacalyn said she was trying not to cry as she remembered the last time that she'd see the infant, he'd been two years old. "My spark...mom, your grandma had me learn how to use it to my advantage," Jacalyn took a deep breath before she continued to speak. "Don't you want to know what I named him?"

Derek shook his head, as Erica, Boyd and Isaac slowly emerged from their rooms. Isaac stopped short of the kitchen and looked around he could smell something familiar, something that he didn't know that he'd forgotten. Erica spun around when she realised that Isaac and stopped walking and looked at him.

"Isaac?" Erica questioned, as Boyd continued into the kitchen and started pulling out three more mugs.

"It's nothing..." Isaac muttered as he shook his head, and looked over to where Derek, Peter and a woman he'd never seen before but was familiar were. Isaac could smell a mixture of cinnamon, rosewater and apple in that order.

"Jackie, come meet the beta's," Derek said, before he was reaching down and picking up both of their cups. "And we'll get fresh coffee,"

"Derek, as long as you make it stronger this time around," Jacalyn smirked at her nephew before she was standing up and following Derek and Peter back to the kitchen.

"I did tell you that she likes her coffee strong," Peter stated, Derek rolled his eyes at him, Peter had said no such thing and both of them knew it.

"Really big brother?" Peter nodded before Jacalyn was reaching forward and slapping him upside the head. "You said no such thing,"

"This I do remember," Derek said shaking his head as he set the coffee cups down beside the mugs that Boyd had pulled out.

Derek looked at the three betas and noticed that they were staring at Jacalyn wondering who she was. Jacalyn in turn was looking at Isaac and then at Peter wondering if he had picked up on what she was seeing. Peter nodded, before he glanced at Derek who was still looking at his three betas. Jacalyn smiled at Peter and then looked back to Isaac whose gaze hadn't stopped looking at her. Isaac looked at Jacalyn and realised that, she was what he was smelling.

"This is Jacalyn, my aunt...Jackie this is Boyd, Erica..." Derek trailed off when he finally noticed that Jacalyn and Isaac were looking at one another.

"Isaac..." Jacalyn muttered before she found Peter quickly pulling her into his arms.

"I'm just going to take my little sister upstairs, carry on,"