Chapter 14: Little Brother

A week later and Scott had officially made up his mind to ask Isaac out. Isaac had initially refused, as he was still trying to work through everything that was running through his mind. Boyd and Erica went into protective mode and banned Scott from entering the loft. Derek told him that the only time he could see Isaac was when they were at school. Jacalyn found the whole situation ridiculous, especially Derek's solution.

Jacalyn sat cross-legged on one of the sofas' in the loft reading over one of her sister's old manuscripts that she'd given her a month before the fire. Isaac, Erica and Boyd ran into the loft cursing at Derek, they'd been in one of the lower levels training all afternoon. Derek walked in telling them to go and shower before they ordered in.

"Shower, and we'll order in," Derek called, Jacalyn rolled her eyes and set the manuscript down before she was looking up.

"I can probably cook whatever you're planning on ordering you know that right?" Jacalyn questioned as the three teenage werewolves stopped cursing at Derek.

"You can cook better than him?" Erica pointed at Derek as she spoke, both Derek and Jacalyn nodded as Peter descended that spiral staircase.

"She can indeed. If Talia wasn't in the kitchen, Jackie was," Peter said, surprising Jacalyn as she hadn't realised that Peter was in the loft. "Sorry sister dearest, was doing some research,"

"Research? Peter what on earth could you have been researching here that you couldn't do at your apartment?" Jacalyn asked, she'd had a reason for being in the loft Peter not so much.

"Yeah, what are you are doing here?" Derek questioned folding his arms as Boyd and Isaac started to fight over who got the shower first.

While Boyd and Isaac were bickering, Jacalyn motioned for Erica to slip past the boys and into the bathroom. Both of them cursed when they realised that Erica wasn't standing with them anymore. Jacalyn just cackled and picked up the manuscript again and waited for Derek or Peter to say something about what they wanted for dinner. Boyd and Isaac looked at Jacalyn, neither of them having heard her laugh before.

"Think you could make that dish that mom used to make for birthdays? You know the one," Derek smirked, only him, Peter and Jacalyn knew what day was approaching.

"Not today Der, tomorrow," Jacalyn stuck her tongue out at him and put the manuscript down again. "And, only if you call Cora,"

"Wait, why tomorrow?" Boyd asked as he and Isaac stopped their bickering again.

"Derek's birthday," Jacalyn and Peter said, causing Derek to curse he was hoping to avoid the beta's knowing that his birthday was Christmas Day.

"How did we not know?" the two boys questioned looking at one another and then at Derek who seemed to be shrinking into a corner.

"Derek doesn't like the attention birthday's bring," Jacalyn said before she was heading towards Derek and grabbing him in a hug. "Der, they were going to find out sooner or later,"

"So you'll make it?" Derek questioned hopefully as he hugged his aunt back.

"Sweetheart, I was going to make it no matter what," Jacalyn smiled at him before standing on her tiptoes and kissing him.

When everyone had stopped talking, Boyd and Isaac realised that the shower had stopped running so it was yet again a race for the shower. Isaac darted into the bathroom the second that Erica had opened the door and stepped out causing Boyd to start cursing again. Erica laughed and wrapped her arms around Boyd before kissing him and letting go to head into the kitchen. Isaac flicked the lock on the bathroom door and leaned against the wall taking a deep breath before he was climbing in the shower.

"Damn it Isaac! I'll end up with a cold shower!" Boyd yelled, Derek hadn't fixed the hot water system yet and so some one always ended up with a cold shower.

"Boyd, you'll still get your hot shower," Peter said pausing as he looked at Jacalyn and spoke again. "Won't he sister dearest?"

Jacalyn nodded before she spoke. "Yeah, I might have a trick or two up my sleeve for that," Jacalyn smiled letting go of Derek and heading into the kitchen to get Erica to help her with cooking dinner. "Erica, how do you feel about tacos?"

"Love them," Erica grinned, as Jacalyn stood beside her and young beta looked at her. "What do you want me to do?"

"First we need to actually see what's in the fridge," Jacalyn answered and within a few minutes she and Erica were heading to the shops to grab a few extra things.

While Jacalyn and Erica were out, Erica took the opportunity to find out more about Jacalyn and what her intentions with Isaac were. She was surprised to find out that all Jacalyn wanted was for Isaac to decide on his own what he wanted to do. Jacalyn told Erica that she had no plans for telling him what he could or couldn't do she would only guide him.

"Is that all you really want?" Erica asked as they stopped in front of the fresh food section of the supermarket.

"Yes, I'm leaving everything up to him as he knows all the facts," Jacalyn answered, she was was making sure that they got enough fruit and vegetables for the next few days especially if Derek wanted his birthday dish. "I know you and Boyd are worried about him, and that's a totally reasonable thing to be,"

"You abandoned him for sixteen years," Erica said, before Jacalyn was turning to face and gently putting her hand on her shoulder.

"Erica, sweetheart. I was there the first year and a half of his life before I left," Jacalyn told her Erica blinked as she listened to her heart-beat. "You know that it's true,"

"I know, but we can't help it. He's like our little brother..." Erica mumbled, it was the first time she'd said that to anyone, she hadn't even voiced it to Boyd. "Just don't hurt him," Erica added as they finished grabbing the groceries. "Do you think maybe after dinner you could let us get Derek a present?"

"I don't see why not. If you want to make him happy – one of his favourite books when he was younger was Lord of The Rings," Jacalyn told her, having a feeling that Erica, Boyd and Isaac would do their best to track it down. "He hasn't had a copy of it since the fire, he used to steal mine,"

"Derek used to steal your books?" Erica blinked she couldn't imagine Derek doing that, but when Jacalyn nodded she let out a laugh. "Is there...is there anyway you can show us?"

"Maybe, I might know something...why? What did you have in mind?" Now it was Jacalyn's turn to be curious about what the beta was thinking.

Erica just grinned, ever since she'd found out that there was a reason that Jacalyn didn't smell human she'd done her best to try and work out why. Peter had told her that she was magic to an extent. As Erica and Jacalyn walked to the check out and paid for the groceries Erica sent Boyd a text telling him that she had a plan.