Chapter 16: Derek's Birthday

Christmas Day, also known as Derek's birthday as Jacalyn liked to call it started with Cora arriving at the crack of dawn after getting a last minute flight back into Beacon Hills. Derek had told her that she didn't have to be there but Cora had insisted after finding out that her favourite and only Aunt was moving back permanently. Jacalyn was the first one up, making coffee and getting started on what Derek liked to refer to as the special birthday only meal.

"Aunt Jackie!" Cora grinned pulling open the loft door and seeing Jacalyn standing in the kitchen with two cups of coffee.

"Hey kiddo," Jacalyn smiled as Cora dropped the bags and raced over to her wrapping her arms around her. "I missed you too,"

"Is Der up yet? And is this for me?" Cora questioned pulling away and taking one of the cups after Jacalyn nodded.

"Der's still in bed, and yes," Jacalyn answered before she was turning back to the stove to keep cooking the meat to go in the lasagne that she planned on making.

"I love you, have I mentioned that?" Cora grinned taking a mouthful of coffee and leaning against the kitchen counter.

"Not since you got here," Jacalyn laughed stirring the meat and having some coffee. "I love you too,"

"I might have brought presents...for you, Der and Peter..." Cora said under her breath as she heard movement coming from one of the bedrooms.

"Give me a minute to put this onto simmer and we'll go bug that big brother of yours," Jacalyn said, causing Cora to grin madly as she downed some more coffee.

A minute later and the two of them were heading to Derek's room, as Erica was heard climbing into Boyd's bed and snuggling up to him. Isaac was snoring fast asleep in his bed, he had no plans of getting out of bed. Derek was laying on his stomach his head under his pillow as though he'd been trying to block Jacalyn and Cora talking out.

"Happy Birthday Der," Cora grinned climbing on Derek's bed and throwing herself onto the pillow beside him.

"You're here early," Derek yawned, not moving his head out from under his pillow. "Morning Jackie,"

"Happy Birthday sweetheart," Jacalyn yawned, sitting on the edge of his bed and drinking her coffee. "I'd give you a birthday coffee but I need to make more,"

"You suck, but thank you," Derek yawned again before half sitting up and throwing his pillow at Cora. "Did she tell you what she's making?"

"No! Is she making the dish mom used to make?" Cora questioned, before she was bouncing with excitement as she hadn't picked up on it from the small mess in the kitchen.

"Yes Core, I'm making lasagne, cottage pie and fresh bread, all things that your mom used to make that she taught me," Jacalyn smiled, as she finished off her coffee and set the cup on Derek's bedside table. "You know, one day you'll want to learn this,"

"Never," Cora smirked before she was launching herself at her aunt and wrapping her arms around her.

"Cora," Derek laughed before he was joining in and attacking Jacalyn with a hug before she kissed his cheek. "Now out, I need to pee,"

"Come on Core, lets go make breakfast and coffee," Jacalyn grabbed Cora by the arm along with her coffee cup and pulled her from Derek's room and back to the kitchen.

Half an hour later and Derek had joined them in the kitchen, while Boyd, Erica and Isaac slowly made their way from their rooms. Boyd with his arm wrapped around Erica's shoulder while Isaac darted into the bathroom to avoid being the last to get the hot water. Cora smiled at them as she sat on the counter before she was pushed off by Jacalyn and made to go wait on the other side.

"You can either have waffles or pancakes with eggs and bacon," Jacalyn said, as she looked up while also motioning to the three cups of hot chocolate sitting on the counter. "Hot chocolate, unless you want coffee?"

"Hot chocolate is good," Erica grinned, as she reached for one of the cups before she was wrapping an arm around Derek and kissing his cheek. "Happy Birthday,"

"Erica, it's too early for you to be climbing on me so getoff," Derek mumbled shaking the teenager free as he was handed a cup of steaming hot coffee.

"But birthdays are for hugging and stuff," Erica stated, Jacalyn laughed catching Isaac off guard as he exited the bathroom.

"Erica, if you want to hug someone I'm sure Boyd wouldn't mind," Jacalyn suggested, Boyd groaned before he was pulling Erica into his arms and kissing her. "See, I told you he wouldn't mind,"

"But it's Derek's birthday," Erica stated, Derek just rolled his eyes before his aunt kissed his cheek and then pushed the lot of them out of the kitchen.

"It may be my nephews birthday but he isn't a fan of hugs without warning or early morning unless they're from his favourite Aunt or little sister," Jacalyn smirked as both she and Cora wrapped Derek in a hug and kissed his cheek.

"Ugh," Derek groaned before he hugged both his aunt and sister. "Only because it's you pair,"

A couple of minutes later and Jacalyn was pulling things off the stove and setting them aside. She'd made a pile of pancakes and waffles and no one had wanted eggs and bacon so they'd gone back I n the fridge and she'd gotten jam, honey and cream out. After Derek and Cora grabbed a plate, Isaac was next followed by Erica and Boyd. Jacalyn waited until they'd gotten their plates full before she made a second cup of coffee plus one for Derek and Peter. Peter arrived a few minutes after Jacalyn sat down in the recliner.

"Sister dear, is there any for me?" Peter questioned, Jacalyn simply pointed towards the kitchen before her attention was on Isaac.

"Isaac, what is it?" Jacalyn asked after she noticed that Isaac had stopped eating and was looking like he was going to empty the contents of his stomach any second.

"I'm good," Isaac mumbled setting the plate down but not before Erica was at his side putting her hand to his forehead.

"He's not good, he's burning up," Erica said as she pushed Isaac's food out of the way and tried to pull Isaac to his feet. "Derek, I thought you said that we couldn't get sick,"

"We can't," Derek and Peter both stated before they looked at Cora and Jacalyn, Jacalyn who was shaking her head at them all.

"Generally you can't get sick. Tell me exactly what you did last night," Jacalyn said looking at the three teenagers, Cora knew where her aunt was heading with the questions.

"I lost them for like a minute, maybe two at the most," Erica said pointing to both Isaac and Boyd as Jaclyn moved and sat on the floor beside Isaac.

"We were grabbed...I think they were hunters," Boyd said pausing for a second before he started talking again, only for the words to come out slurred. "They stabbed us with something,"

Derek, Peter and Jacalyn exchanged a look before the three of them quickly moved both Boyd and Isaac into the bathroom. Erica and Cora trailed behind waning to know exactly what was happening to the two boys. Derek stood back and let his aunt and uncle look at Boyd and Isaac before Peter was being pushed from the bathroom.

"They've been poisoned, slow acting," Jacalyn said before she was closing her eyes and concentrating for a moment. "Whoever did this injected them both with wolfsbane...I can get it out,"

"You want to burn it out of them?" Derek, Cora and Peter questioned, Jacalyn shook her head she wasn't about to set two teenage boys on fire.

"Hell no, mom taught me a little something involves the mage side of me,"