Chapter 13: Dinner with the McCall's

The next day, Jacalyn, Derek and Isaac went to have dinner with Scott and Melissa as Melissa had invited them when she'd seen Jacalyn at the supermarket. Melissa remembered Jacalyn from when she was a teenager at the hospital. Jacalyn remembered Melissa as being a nursing student. Isaac was nervous about both of them all going to the McCall's for dinner.

"Isaac, it's okay," Derek reassured him, he'd been sensing the nerves radiating off of Isaac since Jacalyn had told them about Melissa's invitation.

"You didn't have to say yes," Isaac muttered, sending a glare to Jacalyn as they walked up the steps of the McCall house.

"I know, but I couldn't say no," Jacalyn told him, Derek patted Isaac on the shoulder before they were at the front door.

"I know..." Isaac muttered as Scott opened the front door after hearing them speaking when Melissa had told him to stop eavesdropping.

"Scott, let them inside," Melissa called, knowing that Scott was standing with his arms crossed he hadn't been impressed that his mother had invited Jacalyn and Derek too.

"Scott," Derek smiled at the younger werewolf, before they were all heading into the McCall house.

Isaac had taken his copy of the letter stating his parentage, it tucked securely in his pocket while Jacalyn had a copy of the register. She hadn't told Derek or Peter about the register yet. Isaac was wondering when she would tell them.

"Why have you been avoiding me?" Scott asked his arms still crossed as they sat in the living room. "You can't seriously still believe them,"

"Scott, sweetheart you need to take a deep breath," Melissa said from the doorway of the kitchen as she looked at her teenage son.

"Mel, would you like any help?" Jacalyn asked, motioning with her head for Derek to follow her and leave the two boys.

"Of course, Derek, Jacalyn could you give me a hand?" Melissa smiled at the two of them picking up on what Jacalyn was hinting at.

Derek and Jacalyn followed Melissa into the kitchen, though nothing had to be done for dinner it gave both Jacalyn and Isaac the opportunity to talk. Derek listened to what Isaac an Scott were talking about while Jacalyn pulled the copy of the register and test results out. Melissa watched as Jacalyn put the papers on the kitchen island.

"I don't believe them," Scott stated thrusting the results at Isaac who looked down-trodden. "They can't be real. You can't be a Hale,"

"Scott..." Isaac mumbled, he couldn't believe that Scott didn't believe him, even with the papers and listening to his heartbeat.

In the kitchen both Melissa and Derek looked at the results, Melissa picked up the results and looked over them seeing nothing wrong. It also happened that Melissa had heard of the doctor and she was quite respectable in the medical community. Derek was more interested in the register and all the names and dates it contained.

"Melissa, do you mind? Scott's being slightly unreasonable towards Isaac," Derek said looking up from the register but not before he noticed a small note beside Isaac's name.

"I'll see what I can do, and then we'll eat," Melissa smiled at the two of them heading into the living room and standing beside Isaac. "Isaac, sweetheart do you mind giving Jacalyn and Derek a hand setting the table?" Isaac nodded before he backed away and turned to go into the kitchen. "Scott," Melissa sighed, looking at her teenage son as he uncrossed his arms.

"What? You invited THEM and didn't tell me," Scott huffed taking a breath before he continued to rant. "How can you believe what they're saying. They're, they're evil,"

"Enough Scott! I happen to know that the Doctor that they went and saw is very respectable," Melissa took a deep breath before she continued to speak. "As for what you just said. Apologise to them," Melissa said taking another deep breath as she glanced into the kitchen where Isaac looked to have a tear or two rolling down his cheek. "Scott, sweetheart you need to realise that some people aren't ready to be parents until they're older. You need to accept that Jacalyn is Isaac's mother, she may not have been here before but she's here now and isn't that what counts?"

"But mom!" Scott grumbled, as he glanced into the kitchen and saw that Isaac was smiling yet sad at the fact the Scott wasn't believing him. "Isaac?"

"Sweetheart, come talk to Scott he has something to say," Melissa told him as she turned to face them, turning her back on Scott.

"Isaac, it's okay, talk to him," Derek nodded, Isaac shook his head before he looked at Jacalyn and then Derek again. "Go talk to him,"

Isaac didn't move so Melissa grabbed Scott by the arm and pulled him to the table and had the two boys sit next to each other. Melissa smiled at Jacalyn and Derek, before the three adults were watching Scott and Isaac. After a minute, Melissa headed to the counter and grabbed the food that she had prepared and set it down. The bread was already on the table, as was the salad all she really had to grab was the pasta and honey chicken. Melissa had Scott say grace, before they were allowed to start eating.

"I'm sorry," Scott mumbled under his breath as he shovelled some of the pasta into his mouth.

"You have no idea how hard this is," Isaac told him quietly, glancing at him and then back at his plate. "To have everything you thought you knew turned upside down,"

"Tell me then," Scott mumbled, he was willing to listen if it meant that Isaac wasn't upset with him.

"It's not that easy," Isaac answered, having some of the pasta as he glanced at Melissa and Jacalyn. Derek seemed to be focused more on eating then listening to him and Scott as far as he could tell.

"Isaac, how about you stay the night?" Melissa suggested, Isaac shook his head he wasn't sure that was a good idea.

Scott looked at Isaac and then at Melissa before he opened his mouth. "Yeah...stay the night," Scott said almost as a mumble, Isaac looked at him and raised his eyebrow. "Talk to me?"

"It's your decision," Jacalyn said, as Isaac glanced at her and then looked back to Scott.

"Stay and talk with him," Derek said, he hadn't said much as he was still processing the register that Jacalyn had shown him and Melissa in the kitchen.

Scott across the table at Derek, and then at his mother who nodded. Isaac was back to looking at Jacalyn, sometimes he couldn't decide on what was worse, being told to make his own decision or having Derek do it. Jacalyn glared at Derek before she was whacking him upside the head. Derek rolled his eyes at his aunt before Melissa looked at her.

"Family thing, only person I ever really do it to is Peter," Jacalyn explained, Melissa nodded before she was looking at the two teenage boys.

"Scott, Isaac?" Melissa questioned, seeing that both of them had stopped eating and listened to her heartbeat.

"She's telling the truth," Scott said, Isaac and Derek both nodded as far as anyone could tell she hadn't lied.