Chapter 19 - Elliott

She still hadn't messaged me back. I stared at the unread icon, willing my phone to turn those little ticks blue.

I could call Cara again, but she hadn't sounded impressed at the end of our last call. I knew Phoebe was awake now at least but it still wasn't enough. I wanted to know she was okay. To hear it from her, not someone else. I got the feeling she was pretty adept at hiding her emotions.

"You've got it bad." Erik chuckled, spinning his drumsticks in his fingers.

"It's not like that." I protested as I tried to stretch my neck out, twisting it side to side, "I just want to check she's alright."

"You've been told she is." He sat up straighter, "If you're that concerned, go and see her."

I contemplated that for a moment, but I didn't want to push her if she wasn't ready to see me.

"I've really fucked this up, haven't I?' I sighed.

"You mean accidentally forcing her to be in your music video and then almost getting her trampled at a party?" Chris said from the armchair he was lounging in. One leg over the arm, swinging as he spoke.

"Not helping." Erik said through gritted teeth and then sighed, "It's partly my fault. I stirred up trouble at that radio interview." he had the decency to look a little shamed at the thought.

"It's not your fault. I started this and now I've just got to deal with it." I rubbed the hand not holding my phone in a death grip over my eyes.

Sleep had been the last thing on my mind as I had organised protection and damage control in the press.

The pictures had still made it out but we had pulled some strings suppressing the video where you could hear her screams and I knew it wasn't much, but it was the best I could do.

"You need to sleep man. Before all the press stuff later." Erik looked me up and down and I knew I looked like a mess.

"What if she calls?" I yawned.

"You'll wake up for your phone ringing. Plus, we need you to not look like shit in the interviews later unless you want to headline to be about how heartbroken you are." Erik reassured as I shot him a doubtful look.

"But don't look too good otherwise the headlines will be about how happy and in love you are." Chris added.

I groaned; they were right of course. No matter how I behaved the press would spin in. If I was neutral 'Guarded Hawk protects blossoming romance'. It was impossible to escape it.

There would no doubt be questions on the relationship between me and Phoebe. But how was I supposed to answer them when I wasn't even entirely sure where I stood with it.

I needed to talk to Phoebe and I just hoped she would message back soon.