01.

~ Dana's POV ~

My phone rings and I grab it off my desk. It was my mother. I wondered what she needed this time.

"Dej Nag, koj puas tau noj mov?" She asks in Hmong.
(Dej Nag = Dana) (Dana, have you eaten yet?) (Dej Nag pronounced as Day - Naaah, the best I could spell the pronunciation)

She's always asking me if I've eaten, done my homework, or done my laundry.

"Yes, Mom. I have," I say to her in English. She's quite old fashion and she doesn't really like speaking in English. She knows it kind of well too.

"When did you?"

I check the time on my laptop. "Uhm, like 6 hours ago."

"6? It's near dinner time! Come over, I made phõ," she tells me. "Ask Kia Nag if she wants some." (Kia Nag = Kiana) (Kia Nag pronounced as Kea - Naaah)

She knows how much I love phõ. It's my favorite Asian meal ever. "Don't have to say more, Mom. I'm on my way."

We hang up and I close my laptop. I grab my keys and went to the living room where I saw Kiana watching TV.

"My mom's making phõ, want some?" I ask her, smiling.

"Oh girl, say less. I'm coming," she says and turns off the tv.

"Let's go!"

We leave our apartment and head downstairs.

***

Kiana and I walk in to my parent's home and it smells amazing.

"Dana, Kiana, you're here!" My 11 year old sister, Lida says and runs up to us to give us both hugs.

"Did Mom force you here?" My 16 year old brother, Tony walks into the room.

"Yes and no," I answer him.

"Hey Kiana," he says to my best friend and winks and I almost vomit.

Kiana walks up to Tony and ruffles his hair. "Hey, Tub Tooj." (Tub Tooj = Tony) (Tub Tooj pronounced as Thuu - Tho)

He scoffs. "Please don't call me by my Hmong name, you know I hate it. I don't know why Mom or Dad would name me that."

"Pftt, not like you go by it anyway," I say.

"Exactly why I go by Tony," he defended.

"Where's Mom and dad?" I ask.

"Mom's in the kitchen, duh and Dad's at work," he answered.

Kiana and I go to the kitchen.

"Dej Nag thiab Kia Nag, you made it!" Mom says. "Aunt Mai is also here."
(Dana and Kiana, you made it!) (Mai pronounced as My)

"Nyob zoo," Kiana and I both say.
(Hello.)

"Also, Mai's son will be here soon too. He just have to finish up class first," Mom tells me.

"Oh, Es?" I ask. I haven't seen Evan since we were in middle school.
(Es = Evan) (Es pronounced as Eyyy)

"Oh Evan, isn't it?" Kiana asks, nudging me. "We haven't seen him since middle school. I wonder how he looks like now!"

"I bet very handsome," Mom says.

"Yes, he can't wait to see you, Dej Nag," Aunt Mai tells me.

"Me too, it's been a long time."

"What year are you in college now?" Aunt Mai asks me.

"I'm in my third year," I answer her.

"Oh that is right, Es is 2 years older than you."