Final Battle

The time came. Sonic was revved up and finally awake from his near-death experience. You, Tom and Maddie were overjoyed to see the hedgehog up and ready to go. Tom began to clear out the crowds and guide them behind a nearby building, ensuring everyone's safety, as he rightfully should. He put you down on the ground once he made it next to his wife's side. Everyone else, meanwhile, was watching the two figures in the streets.

"I think you have something that belongs to me." Sonic said with a sharpness in his tone. He clenched a fist and immediately lightning was sent out to Robotnik's jet— he was draining the quill energy!

The small glass tube that contained the quill was shattered, and said quill grew a dark blue, it's power now drained.

"This is my power." The hedgehog began again. "And I'm not using it to run away anymore! I'm using it to protect. My. Friends."

Eggman grabbed hold of his goggles and lowered them down onto his face, flashing a smirk at the hedgehog. He opened the panels that contained a multitude of lasers and directed them onto Sonic, who stared him down with an intense death glare.

Sonic slowly got down lower to the ground, planting his fists onto the road. The lasers began charging up, preparing to attack Sonic at any given moment.

Sonic then raised his head, revealing his blue irises, staring down Eggman for what could be their final battle. Eggman reciprocated the stare, grinning at the Blue Devil.

Everyone was on edge, watching in anticipation as the two enemies stared each other down. Sonic seemed so much more mature now, not even making one quip or being baffled by his powers. He's really grown up, you realized. No longer was this the cowardly hedgehog from ten years ago. He was ready to take on anything that dared stand in his way. If you were being perfectly honest, he looked badass. Eggman sure had a storm coming for him.

After a few moment's passing, Eggman pressed a button and fired the missiles.

Sonic's power amplified and he bolted towards the jet. He dodged the missiles as they curved around him and landed onto the roadways and cars still around, on a linear path towards Eggman's jet. Sonic jumped into the air and landed on a closed window to his left, propelling himself towards the jet. With a slam to the side of the jet, he was rebounded to another wall. Again did he jump off, propelling himself to the back of the jet and being rebounded elsewhere. He grabbed a lamppost, swinging and looping himself back around to land another hit onto the jet. He landed on the ground this time, running back up to hit the jet once again. He landed on a car. He jumped and bashed into the jet.

Sonic, again and again, launched himself at the jet, soon becoming a bright flash of neon blue as blinding as the sun itself. It was a breathtaking display that you felt astonished to even witness. He was jumping, hitting the jet, rebounding, and repeating the same process so many times and so quickly, you had to literally shield your eyes to not go blind.

At last, Sonic landed one last blow before leaping back to his original spot on the ground and the intense light dimmed. Eggman's jet was in critical condition; the glass was terribly cracked and you were almost certain over half of the machinery inside was fried or damaged, though the jet itself was still afloat.

"NOW you've done it!" Eggman seethed. He was far from sanity now, Sonic really made the man go mad with power.

"Guess what, Eggman?" Sonic growled. "I'm not leaving Earth. YOU are! (Cookie/Football/Y/N)?" He looked over at you, a subtle smirk on his face.

Tom took something out of his pocket and held it out to you. The bag of rings. You knew exactly what to do, exchanging a nod of understanding with him.

You made a mad dash down the street, taking one of the rings out of the bag and thinking of where you wanted the other end to appear. Sonic was counting on you— you got this. As you neared the end of the length of the jet, you curled your hand back and tossed it in front of you. It grew large, certainly larger than said jet, and revealed the one planet you never wanted to go to in the first place.

The Mushroom Planet.

That was exactly what Sonic wanted. The hedgehog smirked, preparing for the final blow to end this brawl. Eggman didn't hesitate to fire up the jet to propel himself to Sonic, and Sonic followed suite, running up to face him again. Red and blue, dashing towards each other.

Sonic jumped up into the air, curling into a lightning-filled ball. You recalled the moment on the freeway when he tumbled down the road and smashed into Eggman's giant tank, and the thought made you more encouraged than ever to watch as Eggman went bye-bye.

The moment Sonic's body hit the jet, a shockwave of blue enveloped it. The glass of the cockpit gave in to pressure and shattered, and the machinery was utterly destroyed, far from any repair. It all went by like it was in slow motion. Eggman screamed as he was launched straight into the Mushroom Planet— he wasn't coming back from that one. The ring instantly shrunk down and eventually closed, leaving Eggman stranded forever.

The intense lightning finally disappeared and Sonic's body soon returned to normal. He was able to get back onto his feet.

The crowds clapped at Sonic's heroic feat, some were cheering.

You couldn't stand it anymore, so the moment he turned back to you, you were already at his side and tackling him into a giant hug. He wheezed and recoiled from the sudden impact (and probably his burning wounds), but when he realized it was you, he slowly wrapped his arms around you and put his forehead against yours. You gladly leaned into his touch and closed your eyes, your stomach full of butterflies and a wide smile covering half your face.

In any other circumstance, you'd be shying away from the sheer closeness, but you watched him die and get revived too many times today.

And by too many times, you mean once.

The residents of Green Hills came out of hiding to somewhat surround you. Tom and Maddie being closest. They were cheering and clapping for Sonic's amazing stunt. Sonic himself was unwavering to the overwhelming attention— like only you mattered in that very moment. That is, until reality kicked back in.

Tom approached with a chuckle. "Told you you got this."

Sonic lifted his head. "Hey." The hedgehog said with a large smile plastered on his face. "We got this."

Your eyes flickered back open as you noticed Tom's presence, your head lifting as well with a smile.

The cop shook his head and offered an outstretched hand to Sonic. Sonic temporarily forgot about you, eyeing the hand with his adorable curiosity. When he registered what it was for, he gasped and ran around in circles before jumping up into the air and giving the cop a high five. As he descended, he eyed his own hand and back up to the cop with a smile.

Sonic used his final ring to send Robotnik to the mushroom planet. You were stuck on Earth forever. But you didn't really care. All you really cared about was that you could finally put an end to your relentless struggles to fit in. Eggman couldn't chase you anymore.

And for a moment, the world seemed peaceful.