Epilogue

It had been a few weeks since the incident occurred.

You and Sonic felt no need to hide yourselves anymore. All of the Green Hills residents already knew you existed, so why bother? The two of you could frequently drop in to town and nobody would bat an eye. It felt... nice... to be considered normal.

You still lived in your little cave. Despite all your efforts, no. You still lived in the damp coldness of the cave. It wasn't all that bad though, at least you're not scavenging through dumpsters for food anymore. The restaurants around were kind enough to acknowledge when you swung by and left some nice, warm food out whenever you came.

Super-Observant Carl stopped placing traps to try and catch you. He had no reason to try and prove your existence anymore, but still recognized you whenever you appeared in the public eye. Sonic sometimes admitted that he would miss playing those little games with the old man.

You two both dropped in with the Wachowskis from time to time. That being really often. It almost felt like their house was a second home to you.

Maddie taught you to do yoga. Sonic never understood the patience and flexibility behind it, and never bothered to try. He joked with you on occasion, claiming that the only way you could do yoga is that you had your bones removed.

You would drop by Farmer Zimmer sometimes to help him out, too. Bessie, his cow, did have a calf, and you were more than ready to help her with her little one. The calf was a wild card indeed. The sight of such a carefree child made you tear up— the innocence of the youngling reminded you of when you and Sonic were under the watchful eye of the warrior owl Longclaw.

Those memories seemed so distant now.

After all you had done. Everything still brought you back to the familiar days of old with Longclaw.

The old warrior had lost her prime when you met her, so why was she such an endearing role model to you? What about her stuck out most?

Was it her motherly attitude?

Her patience?

Something about her just didn't register. Being the 3 year old that you were, you had a long, full life ahead of you. You didn't have time to discover the little things. The big discoveries were what you felt were best. You didn't have time to worry about the ants in the cracks of the floorboards, you wanted to know why the sky was blue or what space smells like.

But even now, reflecting upon it all, it all felt so simple. Your concepts have evolved since, and probably not in the nature that Mother Nature wanted it to. You didn't grow up like any average South Islander. You grew up on a foreign planet you'd only ever heard bad stuff about. Humans and their dastardly, horrible intentions. Their ability to harness whatever they get their little hands on.

Come to think of it. Humans have tiny hands!

It was all so alien to you. The environments, the creatures, everything! The animals of this planet don't all walk on two legs or communicate under one consecutive language like South Island. They chirped, buzzed, hummed, growled, meowed, barked... Of course it was an alien planet with different rules but the vague memories of the Islanders still drew you back to when you had people to talk to.

Your parents. Your siblings.

You almost forgot about them.

Only two years of your life were spent with your parents before they threw you out. They occasionally spat negativity at you for being less than perfect and the lower one of your family, but you were a relatively happy child with ambitions and goals, so you didn't think much of it except that you had to try harder. You still remember the day you met Sonic all those years ago.