Chapter One: Rylee

Note: All characters and settings are purely fictional. If there are any similarities to real people or places, it is merely coincidental. The plot was written by me and not copied from any other writer.

Those beautiful brown eyes were blazing with contempt. Looking back, his hair was messy, his fists were clenched and splotched with dried bloodstains. I ignored his busted lip and gritted jaw because I couldn't stop staring at his eyes. They were inflamed with an emotion I couldn't identify at the time: hatred. If I knew the words he uttered next would have changed the course of our friendship, I would have stopped him. But instead, I waited for him to speak.

"We won the game!" Khloe shrieked. Her scream penetrated my thoughts and suddenly I was in the present. Three years later from the nightmare that haunts me during every football game.

"Theo scored the winning touchdown!" Destiny shrilled, shaking her red and blue pom-poms in excitement. Theo Bradshaw was the star athlete of Devenport High, right next to his cousin, Tatum Bradshaw. When it came to football, the Bradshaws were infamous. The cousins dominated the field but only Tatum reign supreme as king in the social hierarchy of the school. Where Tatum was blessed in the art of charisma and likability, Theo did not. He barely spoke to anyone outside of his football team and no one dared approached him as he built up a snobbish prick reputation. But, his athletic skills afforded him enough respect among the school population.

"Ugh, I just want us to win the championship so we can get back to our regular practice hours!" Khloe sighed, starring out at the field.

Destiny rolled her eyes and replied, "More like spending more time with Tatum." Destiny probably wasn't far from the truth. Khloe and Tatum were like stereotypical teenage movie characters. While Khloe wasn't captain (we don't have captains for our cheer squads), she was a top girl with a banging body and natural blonde hair. The two were an item from freshman year, I'm told. With this being their senior year, they're on their way to being Prom King and Queen. Like I said, stereotypical teenage movie characters: picture-perfect.

To be honest, I envied their relationship a little bit. Not because I liked Tatum or anything. It's because their love story began with them being friends. No one knows Tatum and Khloe better than Tatum and Khloe. It's the love story I wanted but probably wouldn't get.

Khloe raced onto the field, her ponytail swaying gracefully as she jumps into Tatum's open arms. He swings her around and says something to her which makes her tilt her head back and laugh. They were perfect and I envied her for having it.

My eyes wander around the field. Parents were walking towards Coach Fields while others stood in the stands waiting on their sons to finish their celebrations. My cheer squad was flirting with football players who were away from the huddled group of boys about to dunk the remaining Gatorade onto Tatum. Khloe barely escaped when the cooler emptied itself onto him. The rest of the football players trotted over and began their chanting.

"Devenport!!! Ahhhh! We're back again! What!!!! We fight hard! Why?! We do what we must! No games! What? We spit them out and chew! Devenport Tigers! WE DO WHAT WE DO! WIN!" They chanted, jumping, and circling together. The sight was so beautiful that I nearly missed the shadow behind them.

Theo stood there, away from the celebratory group. He stood there clutching his hands to his bag strap. His hair was damp and messy, almost as messy as the day he stared at me with those inflamed eyes. He took out his water bottle and squeezed some water into his mouth. His eyes wandered at the group momentarily before it met mines. He stared at me for a few seconds. To this day they were always so empty. Sometimes I think he burned everything that day when he spoke to me. He turned away and walked towards the middle-aged couple waiting on the side of the field: his parents.

"Hey, Rylee!" Destiny screamed from the group of celebratory teens. I looked away from Theo and met her gaze. Destiny shouted, "Everyone is meeting up by Tyler's. Are you coming?" Before I could sneak another look at Theo, I nodded and jogged up to Destiny.