Chapter Twenty-Six: Rylee

Note: All characters and settings are purely fictional. If there are any similarities to real people or places, it is merely coincidental. The plot was written by me and not copied from any other writer.

Part of me is still in disbelief that last night was real. Theo Bradshaw likes me. My heart can hardly hold onto the sheer happiness in knowing that fact. Part of me always liked Theo. It's just things we're always confused and twisted between the two of us for me to understand what I was feeling. Spending time with him during this season made me rediscover those feelings, and I fell for him. It was easy too.

I woke up this morning refreshed. I had practice later in the day, but I needed to make a quick stop before heading there. I took a nice long shower, lathering my body in my body wash. It was vanilla scented, and I knew how much it drove Theo insane. To further entice him, I moisturized my body with cocoa butter. I smelled good enough to eat. I just needed to look good enough to eat.

I throw on my favorite blue compression shorts and our Devenport tank. I moisturize my hair before styling it into my signature ponytail. I shuffle to pack my gym bag while slipping on my shoes. It's a quick process because it became like second nature after so many years of cheerleading. I turn back to the mirror to put on a quick gloss. I prim in the mirror. Damn, I looked good. I spritzed myself with my body spray before I grabbed my bag and headed out the door.

"Hey, kiddo," my dad greets, kissing me on the cheek. I give him a big smile. "Your squad has a special event today? Why are you so dressed up?"

I laugh nervously, "Well, something of that sort." I bite my lip, hoping he doesn't question me any further. He doesn't. He just pinches my cheeks and proceeds towards the kitchen. I follow him and sneak a banana out of the kitchen while he's searching through the refrigerator.

"I'll see you later, dad."

"Have a good day, sweetheart," he shouts, but I'm already out the door.

I'm excited and nervous to see Theo. Despite being benched for the next few games, he's required to show up to all practices. He doesn't do anything. Coach Fields makes him watch the team practice as punishment. Hayden told me that Theo would be there. He would probably be a bit hungover, so I made a quick stop to the local coffee shop and picked up a coffee and juice. The juice was for me, considering I'd only eat a banana for breakfast.

My nerves got the best of me when I arrived at school. It took a few pep talks and several gulps of my juice to get me out of the car and walking towards a frustrated looking Theo Bradshaw. His hair was messy as if he ran his fingers through it angrily. He was dressed down in his practice gear. He was sitting on the side bench with his arms folded. He seemed annoyed. His eyes were fixed on the players on the field. It was obvious the punishment was getting to him.

I exhale deeply before walking towards the bench. I notice the moment he sees me. His eyes lock sternly onto me. I shake it off because I know he doesn't know that last night was real. I plop down next to him. His scent is strong. The minty lemony freshness is infused with a lingering scent of alcohol, but it is still intoxicating. He stiffens at the closeness. I take pleasure in knowing my scent bothers him just as much as his scent does to me.

"Here," I hand him the coffee. Thankfully, he accepts it without complaint. I lean back and sigh. His eyes are locked onto me. He's probably confused. It takes all my restraint to hold back my smile.

"When is he gonna put you back in the game?" I ask, trying to break the unnerving silence.

"Did I miss something?"

"What?"

He frowns, "You're here. You brought me coffee. You're talking to me as if nothing happened between us. We broke up, Scott." I wince at his use of my last name. It was scary how cold and separated it sounded leaving his lips. Those lips I planned to kiss before practice, so I needed to speed this up.

"That's where you're mistaken, Bradshaw. We're not broken up. We're dating starting today." I take a sip of my juice, ignoring his face.

"What?!"

"You're my boyfriend. What don't you understand, babe." I tease, stressing the use of the pet name. I turn and smile at him. His eyes are wide, and his mouth is slightly opened in shock and disbelief.

"It seems we missed years of being with each other because you were under the impression that I didn't like white boys."

"I didn't misunderstand. I heard you say it." He defends.

I shake my head, "No, you misunderstood my words. I wasn't saying you weren't good enough, and I definitely don't have an issue with you being white."

"You don't?"

"Of course not." I assert. I grab his hand and intertwine my fingers into his. I stare into his eyes, "You are and have always been my type, Theo."

"You're not fucking around with my feelings, right?" He exclaims, holding back his excitement terribly. He puts the coffee to the side.

"I'm not. So, stop pushing me away. I'm yours for the season and every day after." I don't know what happened first. Theo's eyes lighting up or his hands cupping my face lovingly. The silence between us is warm, but heavy with unspoken words translated between our eyes. He searches my face. Maybe for a hint that I was joking or a moment of regret, so I leaned forward.

Our lips met. The emotions combust between us. All those questions and doubts fade away. Theo's lips move against mines rhythmically. We don't dare deepen the kiss. Besides being outside at his practice, I think Theo knows once we start, they'd be no stopping. So, he kisses me. Teasing my lips with a slight bite here, but never crossing the line that keeps us retrained. He smiles against my lips, and I pull away to cherish that smile. He stares at me in disbelief.

"Rylee, you're certain you want to be my girl." He whispers, shutting his eyes, but his smile still plastered on his face. I set my juice down and lean into his face. Sensing my presence, he shoots open his eyes.

"What should I do to prove it to you?"

"Go on a date with me tomorrow night." He blurts. I'm taken aback, but I nod profusely in agreement. He pecks my lips, another wide smile gracing his face. It's a moment I plan to cherish forever.