Chapter Nineteen: Theo

Note: All characters and settings are purely fictional. If there are any similarities to real people or places, it is merely coincidental. The plot was written by me and not copied from any other writer.

My first away game I was furious. It was around the same time Rylee became a cheerleader. It's not that I didn't know she would eventually become one, considering her love for it during middle school, but it was just frustrating knowing she would be even closer to me. The bus ride tore me to pieces. I spent most of it trying to calm down by listening to music on my phone, but I could still hear her voice chatting away with the other cheerleaders. Hayden tried distracting me, but his attempts were futile.

Things got worst on the field. I could barely make a good pass, and I kept getting tackled. It was frustrating. We were down two touchdowns, and things were looking bleak. Coach Fields was reaching his limit, and I couldn't focus. Then, it happened.

We were huddled up together as our coach went over the play. It was a time out, and I was distracted. Rylee was staring at me, pompoms in hand. She looked worried. No, she looked disappointed. I don't know what happened, but something snapped. It was like all the lines pulling me away from her suddenly shattered at the realization that I was disappointing her. It was her first away game, and I was spoiling a memory she would like to keep. That was it. That was all the motivation I needed to turn the game around and give Rylee the memory she deserved.

We won that game. In fact, we won most games. The games we won, I would look for her face and be relieved when I saw a smile. The games we lost, I couldn't face her. It was as if I let her down. I wasn't just good at football because I loved it. I was good because the girl I love enjoys cheering for a winning team. She loves when we win, and I love ensuring she smiles during every win. And this away game against  Trevdale is no different.

As we pile on the bus, cheerleaders, and football players, I ensure to save a seat for Rylee and me. It's our first away game as a couple, and I wanted to sit next to her. It was one of the few things I wanted to do as her boyfriend.

"Great, you saved us a seat," Rylee exclaims as she slides past me to her seat. She settles into the seat, trying to properly secure her bag on the floor. I take this chance to put my left arm around her, and she falls into place naturally. Ever since we survived Ryland, things were pretty easy between us. It was becoming so natural, I wanted to let her know how I feel. I want to tell her we can make it official. But, I was saving that for our date this weekend. Hayden was helping me plan the whole thing. Rylee deserved the best and I wanted to give her the best.

"It's crazy," she whispers. Her head is titled back with her eyes closed. I take a moment to appreciate how beautiful she is. She's wearing my varsity jacket over her cheer uniform. Her hair is in a ponytail, but her curls are sprawled out over the head of the seat. Her lips are naturally glossed as usual, and I love it. God created Rylee to be the end of me. He knew nothing in the world would bother me so he created her. At least that's what I tell myself.  She was everything that triggered me folded into this beautiful creature that kept me mesmerized.

"What is?" I reply catching her off guard. She sighs before wrapping her arms around my side and putting her head on my chest. She could barely reach my neck because she was so short. But I didn't mind, she was in my arms and that was enough.

"Three years ago, we were on this bus for our first game. We couldn't even look at each other. Now, look at us," She nuzzled her head into my chest a bit more, and my left-hand cups her head.

"I hated you that day," I admit. Rylee freezes in my arms. A few moments of silence run through us. Only the sound of the bus starting and the Coaches counting the students interrupted it. "I wanted to forget you when I came to high school. So, when I saw you in your cheer uniform coming on the bus, I lost it."

Rylee looked up at me, biting her bottom lip before reluctantly asking, "Is that why you stared at me intensely during the game? Because you didn't want me there?"

I laugh slightly, "No, I stared at you because believe it or not, you were my motivation."

"What do you mean?"

"We were losing the game because I was too distracted by my hate for you. Then, I saw you, and you looked so disappointed. It broke me," I admit. Rylee keeps my gaze, her eyes full of so many emotions. Pain. Happiness. Confusion. I watch as those emotions flash across those beautiful brown eyes.

"I couldn't bear the idea of being the reason why you couldn't enjoy your first away game," I continue. Rylee smiles a bit before reaching up to peck my cheek. It is adorable how much she has to stretch to reach me.

"I wasn't disappointed, you know?" She says, remaining up to meet my eyes.

"You weren't?" I asked, a bit shocked. I remember her face during the game. She was biting that bottom lip. Her eyes were wide, and I remember seeing her eyebrows furrowed in disappointment. If she wasn't disappointed, then what was it?

Rylee shakes her head, "No, I was worried."

"Worried?"

"Yeah, it was your first away game. I thought you were beating yourself up about it. I didn't want you to think you were disappointing any of us if we lost the game. I was really worried you would be hard on yourself because you always are when things don't go as planned." Rylee explains. She was worried about me? And I was worried about her. I snort slightly at the joke of it all. We were so concerned about the other to even realize it.

"How could you worry about me at a time like that? It was your first away game you cheered at," I ask, bringing my hands up to her face.

"Because even though we stopped being friends, I never stopped caring for you," Rylee smiles. Her smile energizes me, and I pull into me. She nuzzles into my chest again. I cup her chin with my right hand and raise her head up to mines.

"I never stopped caring for you too, Ry," I whisper before I gently kiss her. It's a quick, sweet kiss. I wanted to capture her lips longer, but we were on a bus.  I didn't want to offend anyone with our overt display of affection. I settle with clasping her hands with mines and taking in her scent during the bus ride. Rylee holds on to me, and it feels good.

I don't pay attention to anything during the bus ride. Well, nothing except Rylee in my arms. She sighs contentedly in my arms. She's doing nothing but holding on to me. I feel energized. Part of me is excited about the game because I feel like I can do anything. I rest my head and take in the moment.

"Ten minutes before we arrive at Trevdale High. Ensure you have all of your stuff secured," Coach Fields announces. Game time. I was ready. There is nothing that could stop me from winning this game. With Rylee in my arms, I could be and do anything.