Chapter Thirty: Theo

Note: All characters and settings are purely fictional. If there are any similarities to real people or places, it is merely coincidental. The plot was written by me and not copied from any other writer.

It's game time. Everyone is in their respective mental zones. Hayden is doing kickbacks. Tatum is listening to music, and the others are just alternating between self-pep talks and warm-up exercises. I'm thinking about Rylee and I. My thoughts sequence in no chronological order but sequenced in a matter of significance to me.

I know it was wrong of me to ask Rylee to wear my ring out of insecurity. It was a dick move, but I just couldn't handle the thought of losing her. It is no secret Rylee is a beautiful girl. I saw the way guys looked at her. Even at the pep rally, the guys at school gawked at her. It didn't help that Rylee's movements were just as mesmerizing as she is. Did this bother me? No. I'm quite comfortable with people acknowledging her beauty. She's a beautiful girl; nothing I said or do would change that fact.

The problem wasn't her undeniable beauty. It was only the presence of that idiot in her past that bothered me. It annoyed me that he was her first kiss. Not to say I minded her liking other people before me. No, what bothered me was that the person was him. Preston was a bully. He tormented kids like Hayden and me. Just knowing that he played a role in Rylee's life in the past aggravated me. But was that my concern now?

Yes and No. While I no longer felt threatened by Preston for Rylee's affection, I had every intention to beat him on my playing field. It was still a mystery as to how he got involved in football when he was so dedicated to basketball. He was just as good, well if not better, than Jacob Walters. Whatever the reason, football was the one sport I loved. The field was my home, and tonight, it was my battleground.

"You good, O?" Tatum asks, pulling his headphones down from his ears. It hits me that this is my last game with Tatum. Tatum was on his way to UW, and if I played my cards right, I would be there with him after high school. If everything goes as planned, Rylee and I would be together attending Wilcaster.

"Never better," I smirk. Tatum simpers before Coach calls us to huddle together. Everyone clusters around Coach, who goes through the first few plays. These were the ones Ryland had us practiced during those excruciating practice sessions. We played a few of them in other games but not against Trevdale. We could be taking a risk, but everyone seemed to be receptive to the idea of using them. I paid attention to Coach's instructions and occasional warnings.

"I need everyone's head in the game. No fighting!" Coach warns, but his eyes drift to mines. Playfully, I hold up my hands in defense. My team snickers at my antics. "I'm serious Bradshaw. Keep your head in the game."

I nod, "I'm good, Coach. There will be no repeats of the last game."

"That's what I want to hear!" He says, pumping his clasped fist in the air. My teammates seemed to be reassured about my attitude. It is enough to get Tatum ready to hype us up with a chant. The clock was winding down until game time.

Tatum starts jumping and shouting, "TIGERS ON ONE! TWO! TIGERS ON THREE!"

"TIGERS ARE HERE TO--- COMPETE! SLAM! ROAR! BOOM! WE'RE COMING, MAKE SOME ROOM. READY SET, LIGHTS ON GREEN! WE'RE HERE TO WIN THIS GAME! OUUUUUUU! AHHHHHHHHHHH! THESE TIGERS JUST WON'T STOP!" We all chimed in. By the end of the chant, the Devenport supporters in the stands could be heard cheering for us. The waiting time is about to come to an end, so I quickly grab my helmet. Hayden nudges me on the way.

"You seemed more energetic than usual. I guess that Rylee pick-me-up helped," He teases. I punch him lightly on the shoulder.

"You dare tease me as if I didn't see you and Mikah disappear after the pep rally earlier. I guess that would explain your calm composure. Usually, you're shaking uncontrollably at this point in the game."