Chapter Eight: Theo

Note: All characters and settings are purely fictional. If there are any similarities to real people or places, it is merely coincidental. The plot was written by me and not copied from any other writer.

There are very few things I remember about Rylee. I remember her love for strawberry ice-cream and her mini obsessions with sour skittles. I remember she wears yellow when she's having a bad day, and she ties her laces twice for good luck. But the most important thing I remembered about her, is her love for arcade games. That's why I don't hesitate to drive her to the nearest arcade.

It takes seeing the sign to get her excited, but she loses all control when we get into the arcade. Rylee is like a little kid when she's in an arcade. She forgets who she is and relaxes. Do I stop her? No. I stand behind and watch the way her face creases when she concentrates, or how high she jumps when she wins. I take in the cute little pout she does when she loses and it takes everything in me not to kiss her senseless. But, doing that would only spark more questions and confusion so, I settle with just watching her.

Eventually, we settled on heading to the pizza shop nearby to grab something to eat. There we were, separated by a pepperoni pizza and the heavyweight of silence. I guess we only knew how to communicate with our lips on each other.

"Wanna play a game?" Rylee asks, leaning on the table. Her hair is pulled in a messy bun and I realize just how effortless it was for her to be beautiful. I cock an eyebrow up to let her know I'm interested, but to explain.

"We each ask the person one question at a time. The responses must be honest."

I lean back into the chair and nod, "Sure, but that topic is off-limits." She frowns slightly but agrees to my conditions. Not that there was a better option. Sitting and eating pizza in silence was as entertaining as watching Zaria explain the difference between pads and tampons to our father, just awkward.

"You go first." Rylee looks taken aback by the statement. To be honest, I already knew the questions I wanted to ask. I just think letting her go first would make her more comfortable. The answer seat can be a tough seat to hold, but I'm okay as long as that topic is not up for discussion.

"Why is this your first time participating in the ritual?"

"Because it's a stupid ritual." I spill and Rylee goes to ask why, but I don't give her the chance. I interrupt her asking, "Why haven't you dated anyone?" She looks down at her lap and sighs. She reaches for the glass of water and drinks a bit before answering.

"Because my brother is Ryland. He was practically a celebrity around Devenport. Basically, people just knew me as Ryland's little sister and never bothered." I forgot about her brother, Ryland. She was right. Ryland is a legend at school. When Rylee and I were friends, I looked up to him. I still do. It is crazy how much guys respected her brother to the point they would ignore Rylee's fine ass to avoid getting on his bad side.

"My turn. If you thought the ritual was stupid, why are you participating now?"

"Because I'm curious about the hype of it all. This is a tradition practiced for decades. If there is something special about it, I want to know." Rylee nods in agreement. I almost feel bad about telling half the truth. I did want to find out the truth behind the ritual, but I am really only following this ritual to get Rylee out my system.

"What are your plans after high school?"

"Hopefully, I get accepted into the University of Wilcaster. They have the best cheer program. What about you?"

"Get scouted. What are you going to major in?"

Rylee sips on her water again before replying, "Journalism. I want to be a sports reporter. Which schools are you considering?" I lean towards the table and stretch. It was crazy to think three years ago we barely cared about any of this stuff. Now, it's all we think about.

"Killcraw, Hugeston, and if I'm lucky, Wilcaster. Why do you want to be a sports reporter?"

Rylee smiles, "It's all I know. Growing up in my family, sports are like another relative at the dinner table. I love it, even though it's not my first love. Anyway, what do you plan to major in?"

"Business. What's your first love?"

She beams, and for a moment, I want to smile back at her. She takes another sip of her water, "Cheerleading. Last round. Let's make it good. You go."

"Ok. What's the most attractive thing about me?"

Rylee gasps slightly, and the smirk I tried to hold back spreads across my face. She looks away momentarily. I can see her nibbling on that luscious bottom lip. I groaned inwardly. Why was she trying to kill me?

"Three years ago, I would have said your heart. Now, I'll settle with your eyes." My heart? Three years ago? What did she know? How little she knew of that small pathetic heart that believed her.

"Why didn't you try work things out during middle school?" Rylee asks, her head bent. She was terrified. Why wouldn't she be? She crossed the line and she knows it. I look up at her. The memories linger in my head, haunting me. He's not good enough.

"Some things are better left broken, Rylee."