Chapter Twenty-Four:Theo

Note: All characters and settings are purely fictional. If there are any similarities to real people or places, it is merely coincidental. The plot was written by me and not copied from any other writer.

Adelanston Middle School is situated in the most scenic location of this town. It has a perfect view of the sun setting. When the sun hits the grass and the leaves of surrounding trees, it glows. It's absolutely beautiful. Hayden, Rylee, and I would spend hours after school, waiting to see the sunset. It would be followed by a stern lecture from our parents for staying out so late, but it was definitely worth it.

After our trio split up, we stopped going. Eventually, Hayden and I visited whenever practices got too difficult, or the other was dealing with some personal issues. It became a safe haven again. Rylee never came back. We never bumped into her, despite my innate desire to stumble across her every time we visited. Hayden would eventually drown out my disappointment with laughs, beers, and some chicken from our favorite fast food joint. But he wasn't here this time.

I needed space from everyone. With the drama surrounding Rylee and I, along with Devenport's first loss, things were getting crazy at school. I kept to myself as much as I could. I tried avoiding Rylee as much as I could too. But, there's only so much ignoring I could do when we're in the same grade and share similar classes. My need to forget her is dwindling, and I'm starting to forget why I'm so angry at her.

Most of it is because I miss her. Those few short weeks of having her in my arms left a stained imprint that I can't shake off. My eyes wander to her. My hands miss holding hers. And as sappy as it sounds, I miss kissing her. She was perfect with me. At least, she felt perfect to me.

The image of her smiling at me pops into my head, and I take a gulp from the bottle I stole out my dad's bar. The alcohol burns my throat, but it's better than thinking about her. I know I'm a few gulps away from being drunk. I've been drinking from Coach dismissed me from practice. I don't usually drink since it's against Coach's rules, but I'm benched for the next few games so it doesn't even matter. I down another mouth full and try to stand up. I'm fumbling, and it's apparent I'm wasted.

"Why her?!" I scream to the sky. The scene was beautiful with orange and yellow tints lighting the sky. I hated seeing how beautiful it was. "Why did you make me fall in love with her?!" I shout, clutching the bottle tightly in my hands. I bring it to my mouth again. The liquid flows harshly down, but I don't care.

"Theo?" A voice asks. I spin around clumsily, almost falling to my feet.

"Are you drunk?" The person asks. My eyes are hazy, so I can barely make out the person, but I recognize the voice. Am I hallucinating right now?

"Great, you're here. Now, answer my question." I ramble.

"What question is that?" Dream Rylee asks. I step closer to her, almost tripping over my feet.

"Why did it have to be you?" I point to Dream Rylee's face. My vision clears a bit where I can see her facial expressions. She is staring at the pointed finger, puzzled.

"I don't understand what you're saying," she replied. I rest my left hand on her shoulder to balance. Is she real? Am I in a dream? Did I drink too much and die. What is going on? Dream Rylee snaps her fingers in my face. I try to brush it away but miss it.

"Why did it have to be you?!" I shout, shaking her shoulders back and forth. She tries to pull away from me, but I pull her into a hug. If I couldn't have real Rylee, I deserved to have this Rylee.

"Why can't you like me back?" I ask, my voice cracking as I try to hold back the tears.

"You like me?"

I pull away from her and cup her face with my hands, "Are you blind? I've liked you the moment I met you. There's no other girl that occupies my mind or my heart. It's just you, Rylee."

"Then, why did you leave me in middle school? Why did you stop being my friend?"

"Because I wasn't your type. You liked guys like Preston, and I'm me. I hate it so much that I'm not the kind of guy you want. I want you to be mines!" I lean in and kiss her lips. They felt real. They were soft just like Real Rylee's, and they tasted just like hers. "Why can't you be mine?" I mutter between kisses. Dream Rylee kisses me back, and I cling to her like a magnet. My grip on her is tight because I don't want this moment to leave.

" But I do like you, Theo. I always have." Dream Rylee says, and I embrace her. Even if this wasn't real, it felt real enough. It gave me a sense of happiness I never imagined. I wanted those words to come out of her mouth. But hearing them in my dreams is good enough.

"I wish you were real right now, Dream Rylee," I whisper in her hair. She rubs my back and reassures me that she is real. I know better. It's the alcohol. The alcohol is getting to me. I nuzzle my head into her, and the darkness engulfs me.