Epilogue

Note: All characters and settings are purely fictional. If there are any similarities to real people or places, it is merely coincidental. The plot was written by me and not copied from any other writer.

Time flies when you're in love. Or at least, I think Theo and I are in love. It was nearing the end of summer break, and Theo wanted to take me out on a date. We spent our summer working. After placing third at nationals, Coach Lawson worked us all summer. I barely had time to see Theo. With him working between Brad & Co and his grandfather's company, our schedule rarely aligned to see each other. Our relationship endured many video calls and late-night rendezvous in his car. Although I enjoyed spending time with him, I missed going on dates. I also wanted to kiss my boyfriend without being confined to the small space in his car. It did not help that we both were getting frustrated by wanting more and not having the time to do it.

But things were going to change. Theo was back for season training, and he finally had the time to be with me outside of football practice. I was excited, which is why I dragged Mikah with me to Jazztique to find the perfect outfit for my date.

"He is so chilled and laid back all the time that it makes me question if he even cares about me," Mikah explains. She and Hayden were officially a couple, but Mikah seemed to be struggling with understanding his feelings.

"Mikah, hon. Hayden likes you. Anyone with eyes can see that." I explain. It was true. Hayden was putty in Mikah's hands. The problem was, Mikah couldn't see it because she was too preoccupied with how comfortable he was with her. Confused? I know. They were a weird pairing.

"But--" she tries to object. I throw a shirt at her, which causes the sales clerk to frown at me. I mouth a quick sorry before looking back at Mikah.

"No buts. Stop overthinking and feel. Would Hayden really be with someone he doesn't care about?"

She smiles, "No."

I smile, "Good. Now help me look for an outfit that will leave Theo drooling." Mikah chuckles and skimps through the rack. In the corner of my eye, I spot a person walking past the store. My head snaps up in shock, but the figure is gone.

I guess I was staring too deeply as Mikah asks, "Is something wrong?"

I shake my head, "No. I just thought I saw someone. I must be imagining it." Mikah shrugs before pulling out a cute romper.

"What about this?"

I smile, "Cute, but we're looking to apply pressure."

Mikah smirks, "Pressure. Got it!" We both went back to searching, but I couldn't shake the feeling that something was brewing. I didn't like it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Theo~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ready for your date tonight?" KC asks. He, Hayden, and I were in Nattie Taylor's Burger Shack. Coach just dismissed us from practice, and we were all ravenously hungry. With the new season on the horizon, Coach was working us until our feet bled.

"I can't wait. I miss her, and with this being our senior year, I need to up the level if you catch my drift." I explain. KC nods and takes a bite of his burger.

"You need to get on a level first," Hayden teases, and I playfully punch him on his shoulder.

"I'll get on one when you reach my level, Mr. One Month Anniversary," I laugh, and KC chuckles along. There was a joke between the three of us about how Hayden made a big deal out of his one-month anniversary with Mikah. Where Hayden was all excited to celebrate the milestone, Mikah didn't even remember it. She was so confused when Hayden sent a dozen roses to her home. When he informed her, she just replied, "People celebrate one month of being together?" Needless to say, Hayden didn't take it very well. He ranted about it for weeks.

"Can you not remind me of such a painful memory? I still don't understand how she didn't know!" He exclaimed, obviously still outraged by her reaction.

"I don't blame her. Who celebrates one month of being together?" KC replies.

"People who understand the importance of that first month together. Not many relationships survive in the first month!" Hayden defends. I snicker at him. He was more whipped than I was. KC shrugs.

Suddenly, a shadow appears next to us. The three of us looked up simultaneously. I froze instantly.

"No, fucking way!" Hayden exclaims. KC looks between Hayden and me and the girl standing next to us.

She was smiling at us, which was almost criminal because she was freaking gorgeous. She had the sexiest hourglass figure, that was obviously on display in the spaghetti-strapped gray bodycon dress she wore. She paired it with white sneakers, hoop earrings, and a charmed-out bracelet. Her dark brown hair cascaded down to her hips. I remembered her instantly from those blazing brown eyes. As much as I hated to admit it, she was fucking sexy, and she knew it.

"Haddy-bear? Theoooo?" She inquired, and Hayden I glanced at each other for a moment.

"Vee?" we both said together.

She smiled widely, "Yes! OMG! I can't believe it!"

"Wow, you look different, Vee," Hayden remarks, his eyes locked onto her. I couldn't blame him. Vee was always sickeningly beautiful, but now, she was just, wow.

Vee grins coyly, "Hopefully, that's a good thing."

Hayden nods, "Definitely, good."

KC clears his throat, "Anyone wants to introduce me to your friend?"

I sit up, "Uhhh, Vee, this is KC. KC, this is Vee."

KC sticks out his hand to her, "I'm Kenneth. Everyone calls me KC. It's a pleasure to meet you."

Vee smiles brightly at him, "Nice to meet you too. I'm Valerie or Vee as everyone calls me." She shakes KC's hands, and from the goofy smile he has on his face, I can tell he has plunged into the abyss that is Vee. She was like a siren, a man's greatest nightmare wrapped up in a perfect fantasy.

"What brings you out here? I thought you moved." Hayden says.

Vee sighs, "Yeah, we did, but my dad missed this old town. I'm back." Back? Does this mean she will be going to Devenport High? As if hearing my thoughts, KC asks her about which school she will be attending.

"Devenport High," she replies.

"No fucking way!" Hayden exclaims. Vee chuckles at his reaction before looking at her phone. Her face scrunches up momentarily before she sighs.

"That's my dad. I gotta go. I'll see the three of you later," she says. She winks at us before leaving. Hayden slumps in the chair.

"We're so fucked," he says, and I nodded. Vee's return was an imminent storm. She and Rylee never saw eye to eye. While Hayden and I were cool with her, Rylee hated her. During the last few weeks of middle school, things got worse between them. Hayden and I never knew why. With her back in town, there was bound to be trouble.

Hayden looks at me, "How do we tell Rylee?" My mind went blank. Fuck.

+++++++++++++++THE END++++++++++++++