Chapter Twenty-Five: Rylee

Note: All characters and settings are purely fictional. If there are any similarities to real people or places, it is merely coincidental. The plot was written by me and not copied from any other writer.

*****This is Chapter Twenty-Four in Rylee's perspective*****

In middle school, Hayden, Theo, and I would be the last set of students to get pick up. This was how we met and became friends. During the time we were waiting for our parents, we would go exploring the school. We realized one late afternoon, our school field was facing the best view of the sunset. As we got older, we intentionally stayed behind to hang out and watch the bursting of colors that erupted from the sun setting. It was under those skies we would share our dreams with each other.

It became part of our friendship, so when we split, it was only right we parted from the spot too. There were times I would go there in hopes to see Hayden and Theo. I would imagine us laughing at the stupid fight and become friends again. But every time I went there, they were never there.

I guess that's why when Hayden tells me to meet him at our old spot, I am shocked. I didn't want to go, but he messaged saying he had something important to say. Curiosity got the best of me, so I drove to our old middle school and trotted to the very space that kept all our desires locked in a time capsule in the sky.

As I'm walking towards the bleachers, I hear someone shouting, "Why her?!" The sound catches me off guard, but the voice is familiar. Another outburst follows, "Why did you make me fall in love with her?!" I walk towards the voice and spot a familiar body downing a bottle of what can only be alcohol. I catch a glimpse of his face, and I gasp.

"Theo?" I ask incredulously. He spins around clumsily, almost tripping over his feet. He is swaying uncontrollably, and I realize he's drunk. "Are you drunk?" I ask. Theo blinks a few times as if he's trying to clear his vision.

"Great, you're here. Now, answer my question." He rambles. He's trying to hold himself up, but it's obvious he's struggling.

"What question is that?" I ask. He steps closer. He's messy and tripping over his feet. The scent of alcohol-infused with mint and pine hits me hard. I missed the scent of him. This aroma sends shivers down my spine. This goes unnoticed by him.

"Why did it have to be you?" He asks, pointing his index finger into my face. I'm confused. Why does what have to be me? What about me? He wasn't trying to blame this situation on me again, was he? I frown.

"I don't understand what you're saying," I reply. Theo rests his hand on my shoulder. He's still swaying, so I help him balance. He stares at me. Minutes tick away as he keeps his eyes lock onto me. I snap my fingers in his face. He tries to push my hands away, but I pull them away before his late reaction.

"Why did it have to be you?!"Theo shouts. He starts shaking my shoulders back and forth. I try to pull away from him, but I pull me into a hug. The warmth of him catches me off guard. For a moment, I'm limp in his arms, but the memories of being there overcome me. I ease into his grasp.

"Why can't you like me back?" He asks. I can hear his voice cracking. His words take my breath away. Theo likes me?

"You like me?" I blurt.

He pulls away from me and cups my face with his hands, "Are you blind? I loved you from the moment I met you. There's no other girl that occupies my mind or my heart. It's just you, Rylee."

My heart skips a beat. The butterflies resurrect and flutter throughout my body. The air feels humid, and I know my brain is fried from the countless questions popping up into my consciousness.