20

Fred

I walked out of my office, in need of a break from my computer screen. I shoved my hands in my pockets and walked over to Cecilia's desk.

"Hi," she greeted, looking up at me for a split second before looking back down. Her eyes shot up again, a worrisome look on her face. "Did I do something wrong?"

I chuckled. "No, you didn't. I just needed a bit of a break."

She smiled, letting out a sigh of relief. "I was worried."

"No need," I said, "you're doing good, kiddo."

She smiled a broad smile. "You think so?"

"Yep," I said, "don't change my mind, though."

"Got it," she said, smiling as she looked at her computer.

I walked back into my office, noticing my phone was ringing on my desk. I picked it up and answered the call. "Hello?"

"Hey," Alexis greeted, "I'm in the city and thought I'd drop in and see you."

"Oh, yeah," I said, "it'd be a good time to meet Cecilia."

"Perfect," she said, "I'll be up in a few."

"Love you," I muttered, scribbling something down on the paper on my desk.

"Love you."

I placed my phone on my desk, opening my office door. "Hey, Cecilia?"

She looked up from her computer.

"My wife's on her way up to meet you."

"Y-you mean your supermodel of a wife?" She stuttered, "and I look like this. Great."

The elevator doors opened. Alexis stepped out, shrugging out of her coat. "It's freezing out there."

I smiled, pressing a kiss to her cheek. "Why were you in the city?"

"Ah, I needed coffee and we didn't have any at home."

Cecilia stood up, sticking out her hand. "Hi, I'm Cecilia."

"I'm Alexis," she greeted, shaking Cecilia's outstretched hand, "Fred's told me a lot about you."

"I can hope good things?" Cecilia said, biting down on her lip.

Alexis giggled. "All good things, trust me."

I walked into my office, making Alexis follow. "I got you coffee."

"Thank you," I said, "much appreciated."

"I actually wanted to drop in for more than to just meet the assistant," she said, biting down on her bottom lip.

I took a sip of my coffee, lifting an eyebrow. "Yeah?"

"Milo," she said, "he asked if he could visit."

"You know Mi's always welcome," I said, looking up at her as I sat in my chair.

"I just wasn't sure if you, you know, wanted guests."

I looked up at her. I knew exactly where she was getting with this.

"And definitely not Milo," she muttered, tracing circles on my desk, "I mean, Fred, you basically helped raise him."

"Lex, it's always going to hurt," I said, "but we've got to get back to normalcy at some point."

"I just didn't want to say yes before I asked you," she said, looking up at me as I stood.