38

Jo

The morning after.

With Lena, it'd been important to me. Every single one.

I remembered our first morning after- I'd made cinnamon rolls, and also made a complete fool out of myself while sitting across from her.

My goal this morning was to make cinnamon rolls, good ones, but hold the making a fool of myself.

I told Fred I'd be in late, because I wanted to have a nice breakfast with her. I wanted to talk over coffee and poorly executed cinnamon rolls.

I checked the oven for what felt like the hundredth time, letting out a sigh. They weren't cooking fast enough, and I wanted to have them set out on a plate before she came downstairs.

I poured us two cups of coffee, making sure to pour our creamer in. We went through three bottles of creamer a week with our habits.

I placed them on the bar, opening the oven. I stuck a fork inside and dipped it inside one of the cinnamon rolls, smiling when I realized they were finally done.

There was another upside to moving- hopefully a faster oven.

I pulled the tray out and placed it on the counter, giving them a second to cool before placing them on one of the decorative plates we'd gotten as a wedding gift.

I drizzled some icing on them, chewing on my bottom lip as I focused on placing the same amount on each one. I looked up when I saw her standing in front of me.

"I was almost done," I said, smiling as I placed the icing on the counter.

"Cinnamon rolls?" She asked, wrapping her arms around herself.

"Hopefully they're better this time around."

She smiled, tilting her head over. "I can't believe you remembered."

"How could I forget?" I asked, sliding the plate towards her.

She sat on a stool, watching my every move.

"Good morning," I greeted, picking up a cinnamon roll. I held it up to her mouth and she kept her eyes glued to mine as she bit into it.

"Good morning," she said, as soon as she got it chewed and swallowed.

"Is it good?" I asked, grinning down at her.

She smiled, nodding. "Much better this time around."

"Ah, that's what I was going for."

"You forgot one thing," she said, taking a sip of her coffee.

I looked over at her as I bit into mine.

"The inedible bacon."

I chuckled, nodding. "You know, it takes a lot for me to attempt bacon because of that."

She laughed, nodding. "I know."

I rested my elbows on the island, biting down on my lip. I admired her face, and the one subtle love bite I'd placed on her neck.

I stood upright, walking over to her. I brushed her hair away from her neck, pressing a kiss to her skin. "Did you rest well?"

She nodded, and I could see her hand tightening around her coffee cup.

I continued pressing kisses to her neck, my eyes glued to her hand as I covered hers with my own. "Be careful, that cup didn't do anything to you."

She tilted her head over, parting her plump lips. "Jo."

I used both of my hands to reach under her shirt and grab her waist, holding her close to me. "I think we both know why you slept well."