43

Fred

I held my phone between my ear and shoulder, tuning out everything the man on the other side of the phone was saying.

"Mm hmm," I muttered, digging around in my pocket for my room key.

I finally found it and opened my door, throwing my duffel bag inside. "Yes, for sure."

I kicked the door shut, letting out a breath. I gripped my hips and looked around the luxurious hotel room, nodding. "Well, I'll see you then. Look forward to it."

I hung up and threw my phone on the bed, following suit. I fell on my back and rested my forearm on my head, closing my eyes.

I heard my phone ring again and I sighed. "Fuck."

I sat upright and grabbed my phone, immediately answering when I saw it was Alexis. "You have no clue how relieved I am that it's you."

She giggled. "How's the room?"

"Extremely nice," I said, "they gave me complimentary whiskey."

"Wow," she said, "I would, too, if I knew Fred King was staying in my hotel."

I chuckled. "It's a big room to have to myself. I miss you."

"I figured you and Jo were sharing a room."

"You figured wrong," I said, "I tried to talk him into cuddling, but he just wouldn't budge."

She laughed. "Yeah, sounds about like him."

I fell on my back, sighing. "God, I'm already beat."

"You'll do great tonight," she said, "but take a nap. I can hear the sleepiness."

"Yeah, there's a lot of it," I said, rubbing my eyes, "is Mi all settled?"

"Yeah," she said, "he's actually looking at an apartment today. Since he's here so often."

"There's really no need for him to do that," I said, "he's got a designated room."

"That's his way of saying he wants to hook up with people while he's here," she said.

I chuckled. "Do me a favor, and keep him away from Cecilia for me."

"Yeah, I think she's going to do that herself," she said, "he apparently hurt her really bad at the gala."

"Yeah," I said, "how are the babies?"

"Good," she said, "I've actually felt them a lot today."

I let out a sigh. "I wish you guys were here with me."

She giggled. "Well, the Rossi's wedding is not going to plan itself."

"I know, I know," I muttered, "I'm going to let you get back to work."

"Alright," she said, "call me tonight when you get done with your meetings."

"Will do," I said, "I love you."

"I love you," she said, and hung up.

I stood up from the bed and opened my curtains, seeing the rainy New York City sky. I leaned against my window and looked down at the tons of people crowding the sidewalks.

There wasn't a single empty space in this city, and I loved it. The city that never slowed down.

I closed my curtains and walked over to the bed, falling down on it. I grabbed my phone and checked the time, seeing that I still had a good three hours until our first meeting.