40

one month later - the gala 🤩

Jo

"Did you hire movers?"

I looked over at Mom, nodding. "Yes."

"Good. I don't want you to hurt your back."

"I'm going to be helping them," I said, taking a drink of my champagne.

"Well, leave the heavy lifting to them," she said.

I looked over at her for what felt like the thousandth time. I knew she was just being my mother, but with that came the overbearingness. I couldn't take it.

"So when are you moving?"

I rubbed my eyes, my eyes meeting Adora's for a split second. She smiled a comforting smile, and I looked over at Mom. "Thursday."

"Why wouldn't you do it while everyone's still here so we could help?"

"That's okay, it'll be stressful enough-"

I caught myself, biting down on my lip. "For just two people. Wouldn't want everyone else stressed."

She rubbed my back. "Look at you, always caring about everyone else."

"That's me," I muttered, smiling when I looked at Dad.

"How come Lena and Alexis aren't here yet?"

I leaned my head back, earning a chuckle from Dad.

"One more question," I mouthed, my eyes wide.

"The King women have always made an entrance at these things," Dad said, grabbing another glass of champagne.

"As you did," Mateo said, pressing a kiss to Mom's temple.

I flexed my jaw, looking away from them. I tapped my foot and watched the door like a hawk, watching the important people flow through the door.

None of them were quite as important as Lena, though.

"Sorry," Fred said, "I was talking to Milo."

"That little piece of shit?" I muttered, looking over at him.

He chuckled, nodding. "Yeah."

"Is Cecilia coming?"

"Yeah, she is. Alexis spent hours doing her hair and makeup for her."

"I know she's doing all that shit for Mi," I said, "and he doesn't deserve a second of her damn time."

"She's actually got a date," he said, grinning over at me.

"Oh?"

"His reaction is going to be absolutely priceless," he said, chuckling, "I, personally, can't wait."

I felt my stomach do a somersault out of the blue, making me look over at the door. A smile pulled one of the corners of my mouth up as I saw Lena.

"Butterflies, man."

He chuckled and we both turned to face them, our jaws dropping at the two of them strutting over to us.

"We're getting laid tonight," we both said.

Lena smiled, biting down on her lip. "Hi."

"This is a sin," I muttered, grabbing her hand. I spun her around and lifted an eyebrow.

"It's your favorite color."

I trailed my hands down her waist and to her backside, holding her close to me. "You are unmatched."